• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I bought a threaded barrel for my 1911 assuming I could just install a barrel link and run it until I realized that there are different sized barrel links. Anyone on here have experience fitting a new 1911 barrel? Any advice, tips, or tricks?

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I have been fitting 1911 barrels for four years and I am still learning new things. There is a LOT going on in a 1911 barrel to achieve proper lockup engagement, angles, unlock timing, link fitment, hood fitment, etc. A drop in barrel is NOT drop in, in my opinion anyway. Way too much going on to be able to say it is going to work. Not only do you rusk malfunctions, but putting an improperly fit barrel in could damage existing parts or even be dangerous.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been fitting 1911 barrels for four years and I am still learning new things. There is a LOT going on in a 1911 barrel to achieve proper lockup engagement, angles, unlock timing, link fitment, hood fitment, etc. A drop in barrel is NOT drop in, in my opinion anyway. Way too much going on to be able to say it is going to work. Not only do you rusk malfunctions, but putting an improperly fit barrel in could damage existing parts or even be dangerous.

Bingo.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Many 'drop in' barrels do work just fine, that's pretty much what factory 1911 barrels are but then again you are not getting much more above and beyond a factory barrel so I never really saw the point. For beginners the Kart 'ez fit' barrels work great if you don't have access to machinery etc.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Many 'drop in' barrels do work just fine, that's pretty much what factory 1911 barrels are but then again you are not getting much more above and beyond a factory barrel so I never really saw the point. For beginners the Kart 'ez fit' barrels work great if you don't have access to machinery etc.

“Working” and being installed correctly are two totally different things.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    And don’t get me wrong, I am not saying a drop in barrel CAN’T work, but it won’t work with every pistol and rarely will it be optimal or fit even close to correctly.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    “Working” and being installed correctly are two totally different things.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue about. But, the purpose of the drop-ins are so that no 'installation' is necessary so if it works then I don't see the issue, again factory barrels are drop in. It is true that many 'drop ins' do try to have a little bit better fit than factory bbl's and depending on the mfg you may have to do minor fitting but it's hardly rocket science, in fact fitting a match grade barrel isn't rocket science either lol. I'm not particularly advocating for drop in barrels as I said before I don't really see the utility especially as they can cost almost as much as a match barrel minus the gunsmith fee etc. In the end I don't think anybody ended up helping the OP, hopefully he has been in touch with CM he has a good handle on it.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I'm not sure what you're trying to argue about. But, the purpose of the drop-ins are so that no 'installation' is necessary so if it works then I don't see the issue, again factory barrels are drop in. It is true that many 'drop ins' do try to have a little bit better fit than factory bbl's and depending on the mfg you may have to do minor fitting but it's hardly rocket science, in fact fitting a match grade barrel isn't rocket science either lol. I'm not particularly advocating for drop in barrels as I said before I don't really see the utility especially as they can cost almost as much as a match barrel minus the gunsmith fee etc. In the end I don't think anybody ended up helping the OP, hopefully he has been in touch with CM he has a good handle on it.

No argument at all and sorry if it came off that way. I thought i qualified that in a later post but no worries. My point is there are a lot of things that probably should be checked by someone (not me or another gunsmith for that matter) but at least someone that has a handle on what parameter really matter and what doesn’t.

All good and I’m always willing to help anyone if they would like to gain a little more understanding. I have learned by others helping me and by tearing things up lol.

CM will get him taken care of I’m sure.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OP brought his 1911 over today. It is a High Standard. 1st fit check was lock up off the pin. Lets just say that even a .203 oversize pin will not fix this on his gun.
    The hood had far to much clearance. The bushing was in serious need of replacement with a hand fit piece.
    OP is a smart young man. He opted to leave the piece as built and not dive into that rabbit hole. He is also an engineer.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    OP brought his 1911 over today. It is a High Standard. 1st fit check was lock up off the pin. Lets just say that even a .203 oversize pin will not fix this on his gun.
    The hood had far to much clearance. The bushing was in serious need of replacement with a hand fit piece.
    OP is a smart young man. He opted to leave the piece as built and not dive into that rabbit hole. He is also an engineer.

Good to hear that you took care of him

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Thank you all for your help, especially churchmouse! I had no idea that there was so much involved in just a barrel swap for the 1911 platform!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had no idea that High Standard even made a 1911. I'm only familiar with their .22's. I'd probably leave it as is too! Glad the OP was able to get the help he needed. :ingo:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Not the same company that built 22 cal guns .I might be wrong but i believe they are bagged from another country . Throughing new parts in to a 1911 is like reloading without a manual or knowledge

Top Bottom