Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by praff View Post
    “Working” and being installed correctly are two totally different things.
    We find this in some factory guns as well.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

And don’t get me wrong, I am not saying a drop in barrel CAN’T work, but it won’t work with every pistol and rarely will it be optimal or fit even close to correctly.
    Rafferty Custom Guns, LLC 07/02 FFL/SOT
    Repair, Modifications, and Transfers on all Class III items
    Custom Built 1911 and 2011 Competition/Defensive Pistols

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by praff View Post
    “Working” and being installed correctly are two totally different things.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to argue about. But, the purpose of the drop-ins are so that no 'installation' is necessary so if it works then I don't see the issue, again factory barrels are drop in. It is true that many 'drop ins' do try to have a little bit better fit than factory bbl's and depending on the mfg you may have to do minor fitting but it's hardly rocket science, in fact fitting a match grade barrel isn't rocket science either lol. I'm not particularly advocating for drop in barrels as I said before I don't really see the utility especially as they can cost almost as much as a match barrel minus the gunsmith fee etc. In the end I don't think anybody ended up helping the OP, hopefully he has been in touch with CM he has a good handle on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drillsgt View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to argue about. But, the purpose of the drop-ins are so that no 'installation' is necessary so if it works then I don't see the issue, again factory barrels are drop in. It is true that many 'drop ins' do try to have a little bit better fit than factory bbl's and depending on the mfg you may have to do minor fitting but it's hardly rocket science, in fact fitting a match grade barrel isn't rocket science either lol. I'm not particularly advocating for drop in barrels as I said before I don't really see the utility especially as they can cost almost as much as a match barrel minus the gunsmith fee etc. In the end I don't think anybody ended up helping the OP, hopefully he has been in touch with CM he has a good handle on it.
    No argument at all and sorry if it came off that way. I thought i qualified that in a later post but no worries. My point is there are a lot of things that probably should be checked by someone (not me or another gunsmith for that matter) but at least someone that has a handle on what parameter really matter and what doesn’t.

All good and I’m always willing to help anyone if they would like to gain a little more understanding. I have learned by others helping me and by tearing things up lol.

CM will get him taken care of I’m sure.

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

OP brought his 1911 over today. It is a High Standard. 1st fit check was lock up off the pin. Lets just say that even a .203 oversize pin will not fix this on his gun.
    The hood had far to much clearance. The bushing was in serious need of replacement with a hand fit piece.
    OP is a smart young man. He opted to leave the piece as built and not dive into that rabbit hole. He is also an engineer.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    OP brought his 1911 over today. It is a High Standard. 1st fit check was lock up off the pin. Lets just say that even a .203 oversize pin will not fix this on his gun.
    The hood had far to much clearance. The bushing was in serious need of replacement with a hand fit piece.
    OP is a smart young man. He opted to leave the piece as built and not dive into that rabbit hole. He is also an engineer.

Good to hear that you took care of him

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your help, especially churchmouse! I had no idea that there was so much involved in just a barrel swap for the 1911 platform!

User Info Menu

I had no idea that High Standard even made a 1911. I'm only familiar with their .22's. I'd probably leave it as is too! Glad the OP was able to get the help he needed.

User Info Menu

Not the same company that built 22 cal guns .I might be wrong but i believe they are bagged from another country . Throughing new parts in to a 1911 is like reloading without a manual or knowledge
    " Everybody in the world is ignorant.....Just about different things."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2