Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Fitting a 1911 Barrel

I bought a threaded barrel for my 1911 assuming I could just install a barrel link and run it until I realized that there are different sized barrel links. Anyone on here have experience fitting a new 1911 barrel? Any advice, tips, or tricks?

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

There is a lot more to this than you might think. Have you had it in the gun yet.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Plinker

User Info Menu

No, it came without a barrel link installed. Or are you asking me to try closing the action with no link installed?

User Info Menu

There are no drop in 1911 parts. Listen to CM.
    1911s are like Glocks except they are for grown-ups.

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
    No, it came without a barrel link installed. Or are you asking me to try closing the action with no link installed?
    If you have never done this there is a process.

PM me please. You can PM staff pre-50 post count.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

Was this a ‘drop in’ barrel or a gunsmith fit barrel? Not having a barrel link makes me think you purchased a barrel that needs fitting

User Info Menu

I have been fitting 1911 barrels for four years and I am still learning new things. There is a LOT going on in a 1911 barrel to achieve proper lockup engagement, angles, unlock timing, link fitment, hood fitment, etc. A drop in barrel is NOT drop in, in my opinion anyway. Way too much going on to be able to say it is going to work. Not only do you rusk malfunctions, but putting an improperly fit barrel in could damage existing parts or even be dangerous.
    Rafferty Custom Guns, LLC 07/02 FFL/SOT
    Repair, Modifications, and Transfers on all Class III items
    Custom Built 1911 and 2011 Competition/Defensive Pistols

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by praff View Post
    I have been fitting 1911 barrels for four years and I am still learning new things. There is a LOT going on in a 1911 barrel to achieve proper lockup engagement, angles, unlock timing, link fitment, hood fitment, etc. A drop in barrel is NOT drop in, in my opinion anyway. Way too much going on to be able to say it is going to work. Not only do you rusk malfunctions, but putting an improperly fit barrel in could damage existing parts or even be dangerous.
    Bingo.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by praff View Post
    Many 'drop in' barrels do work just fine, that's pretty much what factory 1911 barrels are but then again you are not getting much more above and beyond a factory barrel so I never really saw the point. For beginners the Kart 'ez fit' barrels work great if you don't have access to machinery etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drillsgt View Post
    Many 'drop in' barrels do work just fine, that's pretty much what factory 1911 barrels are but then again you are not getting much more above and beyond a factory barrel so I never really saw the point. For beginners the Kart 'ez fit' barrels work great if you don't have access to machinery etc.
    “Working” and being installed correctly are two totally different things.
    Rafferty Custom Guns, LLC 07/02 FFL/SOT
    Repair, Modifications, and Transfers on all Class III items
    Custom Built 1911 and 2011 Competition/Defensive Pistols

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast