• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I have been posting pics of this in my forum thread, but this one is special to me so I thought I would dedicate a build thread to it here. This is a full dustcover 1911 with a 40 caliber KKM precision ramped barrel. STI square trigger guard frame with a Stan Chen gen 2 magwell and an SVI-Infinity slide. The finish is case color on frame and slide with niter blue small parts. The barrel was supposed to get blackened, but came back without finish, so it will be sent back out eventually for black PVD. The small parts are high polished nitre blueing. The pics just don't do this finish justice. There are a lot of pics here detailing the build, so scroll to bottom for finished piece if the process isn't your thing.

Here we go.....

Slide had an Infinity logo on it, so away went the logo with the surface grinder

1oowth.jpg

34h9xdc.jpg

sf9d11.jpg

Setting up and cutting serrations (I have started doing this with a slitting saw vs laying flat and an endmill....much better finish)

bffl2c.jpg

wqt15g.jpg

24noh2t.jpg

Nice bevel on the bottom of slide to bring surface even with frame

fk5elt.jpg

mkew00.jpg

Flush cutting barrel/bushing and crowning barrel. Most of the time you will see an uneven crown on a barrel that has been flush cut due to angle of barrel lockup. I have cut bushing square to bore so crown reveal is even all the way around. This is done by cutting face of bushing at same angel that barrel is locked up. Turned out very nice.

311mo2e.jpg

30navzl.jpg

2zhod3r.jpg

Machining for Stan Chen gen 2 magwell and re-drilling mainspring pin

nx3jlt.jpg

Pinning grip safety by fabricating and welding a tab...I have found this works much better and is more secure that just installing a vertical pin in mainspring housing.

10psv0k.jpg

16kvq7c.jpg

142euck.jpg

5a1cp3.jpg

Blending rear of slide, getting perfect lines on thumb safety, and blending magwell

2ykkm4g.jpg

riuhzc.jpg

25zlzzn.jpg

Prepped for finish

2db5r2w.jpg

Final product!!!!!!!!

1538awy.jpg

2i74b55.jpg

rigltk.jpg

2u94vba.jpg

2u94vba.jpg

2enuk3m.jpg

2nkkck.jpg

309r43p.jpg

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Really excellent work! I like the blue on the small parts, reminds me of old Colt auto parts.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    How much is machine work vs hand work? Personally, I would love the machine work side but hate the hand work.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    How much is machine work vs hand work? Personally, I would love the machine work side but hate the hand work.

Depending on the project, its a little bit of both. This one was a ton of finish prep and hand work

Last edited:
    Top Bottom