Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Retiring, need project...

Retiring soon, thinking of haunting gun shows to look for .22 rifles that need refurbishing...

Which ones have a good parts supply?

L.
    Well Robert, you can't have no idea how little I care.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Are you looking to refinish, as in re blue? Or simply to make operational?

User Info Menu

Check Numrich, Brownells, and Midwest Gun Works for parts. Buy your projects locally. Shipping and transfer fees will eat most profit on refurbed .22s. Assuming you don't want this to be a charity project.
    Just call me lollipop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Check Numrich, Brownells, and Midwest Gun Works for parts. Buy your projects locally. Shipping and transfer fees will eat most profit on refurbed .22s. Assuming you don't want this to be a charity project.
    Solid advice, but don't limit yourself to 22 rifles. Most of gun work is patience.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Patience sprinkled with the wisdom to walk away before flinging the frustrating bastage across the room. Ha!
    Naphtali Lodge 389 Kokomo, IN

Hard luck is my only luck...
    Not your average Korean Hillbilly
    Tactical Chia Pet
    2012 FXDF (Fatbob)

User Info Menu

Make sure you do your research and be careful what you get yourself into. If it's just for fun I wouldn't worry too much but if you are looking to make a few bucks go slowly and don't pay too much for parts. I restore surplus rifles that have been sporterized and it is mostly for fun as I usually put way more into them than they are ultimately worth when completed . Maybe if I keep them another 20 years I can make a few bucks.
    Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 press 1 to talk to someone now or text 838255 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone!
    Doing this just for kicks/hobby, and a way to keep learning. Maybe for the younger ones coming up, to have their own...
    L.
    Well Robert, you can't have no idea how little I care.

Expert

User Info Menu

Research the firearms before you buy as i have found some that are hard or impossible to find parts for!! I am semi retired and do the same as a hobby, but mainly military firearms

Marksman

User Info Menu

I enjoy making things work again. 20 years ago when I worked in a gun shop, I really enjoyed people bringing in a box of parts. The hunt for parts can be frustrating, but fun.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

As I creep up on 'Retirement'... (Read: Working till I'm dead then a year afterwards)

I've been fishing more.
    It's dirt simple, it's fairly cheap, if you catch anything you eat fresh fish, if you don't catch anything a day out in the fresh air can't hurt anything.

I'm shooting more rimfires also.
    As a gunsmith (among other things) fixing isn't a big deal, but the .17 HMR is just plain fun to shoot!
    I used to hunt pests & varmints for extra money when I was young, and I've found it's still entertaining.
    .17 HMR is cheap enough to shoot, and no reloading.
    It doesn't bust your shoulder, eardrums or budget.

*IF* you can get someone to actually look for your part, Gun Parts Incorporated (formally Neumrich) has a BUNCH of stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast