• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Check Numrich, Brownells, and Midwest Gun Works for parts. Buy your projects locally. Shipping and transfer fees will eat most profit on refurbed .22s. Assuming you don't want this to be a charity project.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Check Numrich, Brownells, and Midwest Gun Works for parts. Buy your projects locally. Shipping and transfer fees will eat most profit on refurbed .22s. Assuming you don't want this to be a charity project.

Solid advice, but don't limit yourself to 22 rifles. Most of gun work is patience.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Make sure you do your research and be careful what you get yourself into. If it's just for fun I wouldn't worry too much but if you are looking to make a few bucks go slowly and don't pay too much for parts. I restore surplus rifles that have been sporterized :( and it is mostly for fun as I usually put way more into them than they are ultimately worth when completed :spend:. Maybe if I keep them another 20 years I can make a few bucks. :):

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Research the firearms before you buy as i have found some that are hard or impossible to find parts for!! I am semi retired and do the same as a hobby, but mainly military firearms

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I enjoy making things work again. 20 years ago when I worked in a gun shop, I really enjoyed people bringing in a box of parts. The hunt for parts can be frustrating, but fun.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    As I creep up on 'Retirement'... (Read: Working till I'm dead then a year afterwards)

I've been fishing more.
    It's dirt simple, it's fairly cheap, if you catch anything you eat fresh fish, if you don't catch anything a day out in the fresh air can't hurt anything.

I'm shooting more rimfires also.
    As a gunsmith (among other things) fixing isn't a big deal, but the .17 HMR is just plain fun to shoot!
    I used to hunt pests & varmints for extra money when I was young, and I've found it's still entertaining.
    .17 HMR is cheap enough to shoot, and no reloading.
    It doesn't bust your shoulder, eardrums or budget.

*IF* you can get someone to actually look for your part, Gun Parts Incorporated (formally Neumrich) has a BUNCH of stuff.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have collected/restored the OLD Mossberg .22 rifles (mostly pre-war) and have found it to be quite therapeutic (most of the time:D). I also have dabbled in the old Marlin 80/81 series. Parts can be hit or miss with both lines, but for me that is part of the enjoyment of bringing them back to life. I don't do it for collector value or make money, just enjoy the history and quality feel of an old metal/wood firearm.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I enjoy making things work again. 20 years ago when I worked in a gun shop, I really enjoyed people bringing in a box of parts. The hunt for parts can be frustrating, but fun.

Very true. It's very rewarding to get old guns running again. Either making of finding old parts is part of it.

Top Bottom