• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Last week I took delivery of a Traditions Outfitter G2 in .357 Magnum. I love the rifle so far, but the trigger is heavy for my tastes. It registers at 7-7.5lb and I would like to cut that roughly in half.

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith that would be willing to take it on? I already PM'd AllenM about it and he did not feel comfortable with it as he had never handled one before. No problem there. I would much rather someone tell me they don't feel comfortable with something if they don't. That move was to his credit in my opinion. But I still need a gunsmith in the Indy area that would feel comfortable with the job. Any recommendations?

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    YouTube!!!:laugh::ingo:

I know, I know...no help what so ever but I have seen many a people go there and end up with something scary and unsafe from a supposed "expert".

Glad you are looking for a pro.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You might try dry firing it a couple thousand times first... At the very least it will give a gunsmith something to go on because he will be able to see the wear areas that need polishing.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Layout fluid and a couple dry fires can accomplish the same thing in a short amount of time.

This. Most of your gunsmiths that have a design that has no aftermarket support would do this.

Beware however: Many of those inexpensive arms usually have case hardened (thin hard with soft steel underneath) or MIM (heat treated outside, soft steel inner) to save money and even the layout fluid/jewelers rouge with oil route would cut through the hardening and eat the parts up (making your 'trigger job' worse or the trigger assembly unsafe). Ask me how I know, I spent hours on the phone with Smith trying to get a revolver with MIM parts repaired because I did this. Ate through the thin surface hardening and made the situation really bad. lol

Dry firing will help knock the parts into place, settle their edges and surfaces and move on. You could try the layout fluid approach and not dry fire it a ton and ensure you have cleaned out that action thoroughly afterwards, but just be aware...

Your Traditions firearm, while a decent arm, is an inexpensively made piece of weapon with the ol' H&R Pardner concept. They may have fit the parts really rough or used very heavy springs to get reliable ignition. You could contact them about the trigger pull and see if it is within acceptable range. If they say it is.... welcome to the world of the H&R design. Heavy springs, crude parts but reliability, strength and reasonable accuracy.

Top Bottom