• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Having an issue with an AR that does not consistently lock the bolt back on the last round. Any ideas on what I should check? It’s only got about 170 rounds through it and was fine for the first 60 but the issue seems to be getting worse, not better. It’s happening with a variety of mags.

Is this a break in issue or is something out of spec?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    you tried different mags, did you try different ammo? and what ammo are you using?

you build it? getting worse is a hint something is changing.
    check the carrier key.
    check the gas block....
    Is the gas block adjustable? back out the adjustment.
    Is it clamp on or set-screws? Check that its still lined up.
    If it's a fixed front site / pinned, probably not the issue. just make sure the gas tube is pinned in place...

Rings shouldn't go bad that fast, but make sure w/ the bolt pulled fwd in the carrier if you set it on a table on the bolt face, the carrier stays up (doesn't fall under it's own weight. visually inspect the rings.

manually hook a round onto the bolt face and slowly chamber it (w/o a mag). it should chamber smoothly w/ only a little resistance felt as the bolt cams over. or remove extractor and realize there'll be some resistance from the ejector as the bolt enters the barrel extension, but it should still cam over smoothly.

only AR I've had that needed any kind of "break-in" to run was a 9mm (direct blow-back, no gas).

-rvb

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I had one of my builds doing about the same thing. I traded out the bolt catch with one that had a longer "finger" on it. By finger I mean the extension that the empty mag pushes up, which then rotates the bolt catch up enough to capture the bolt. The finger was shorter or something was different with it, and the empty mag didn't get enough bite on it.

Ron

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Having an issue with an AR that does not consistently lock the bolt back on the last round. Any ideas on what I should check? It’s only got about 170 rounds through it and was fine for the first 60 but the issue seems to be getting worse, not better. It’s happening with a variety of mags.

Is this a break in issue or is something out of spec?

What caliber and parts used? barrel length, gas length, etc, etc. bought or built?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This is on a Troy XM177E2 clone and is stock. The ammo it ran fine with was my reloads but that second range trip was with Wolf brass cased ammo. I’ll break out the reloads again to see if maybe it just does not like the Wolf ammo.

I’ll take a look to see how it compares to the other ARs I have to see if I can see a difference in the bolt catch dimensions too.

Thanks guys, lots of good advice offered.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This is on a Troy XM177E2 clone and is stock. The ammo it ran fine with was my reloads but that second range trip was with Wolf brass cased ammo. I’ll break out the reloads again to see if maybe it just does not like the Wolf ammo.

I’ll take a look to see how it compares to the other ARs I have to see if I can see a difference in the bolt catch dimensions too.

Thanks guys, lots of good advice offered.

wolf can sometimes be underpowered. that's why first thing I ask is what ammo... and if it worked w/ one ammo and not the other, that's a clue. a lot of ARs are over-gassed and work ok w/ marginal ammo. Maybe try some other good factory ammo to make sure it's not just that your reloads are on the hot side or something...

to be sure it's ammo and not a mag/mag catch issue, load a round, remove the mag, and hold the bottom of the bolt catch w/ your WH thumb. If it still doesn't lock back w/ the wolf (but does w/ other ammo) you know where the issue is....

ps I've not used wolf other than in 7.62. But I know it used to be considered quite inconsistent over the chrono, sometimes no better than PCM 223, sometimes closer to xm193. I knew guys that would practice with it, but not compete because they couldn't trust it to make power factor...

-rvb

Last edited:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Wolf brass cased ammo is 223 spec, so it could be somewhat underpowered.

I’ve had short stroking issues with wolf and reliable 5.56 guns

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds like the ammo is suspect. I really should know better than to buy crap ammo but sometimes I forget that. This is only the second time I bought Wolf, the first being about 10 years ago when I bought my first AR. That was steel cased and it would not run hardly at all. I’m hoping that I don’t have to relearn this lesson in 10 more years.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    If you are using gen 2 pmags I believe there is an issue with the shape of the mag at the top rear that causes the catch to not work. I used a dremel on a bunch of mags to make them look like gen 3's and they have worked well.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The easiest way to tune an AR to run multiple types of ammo is to swap buffers. You don't always go lighter either. Carbines can have very high bolt speeds & can outrun the mag spring &/or bounce forward and miss the catch. I've had to go with a heavier buffer to cure a "won't lock back on last shot" problem.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Sounds like the ammo is suspect. I really should know better than to buy crap ammo but sometimes I forget that. This is only the second time I bought Wolf, the first being about 10 years ago when I bought my first AR. That was steel cased and it would not run hardly at all. I’m hoping that I don’t have to relearn this lesson in 10 more years.

nope, gun isn’t setup for it, not enough dwell time, buffer too heavy, buffer spring, etc can have that effect.

Every single gun I own reliably runs ALL ammo, if it wouldn’t I would have zero use for it. Steel case blesses my MP5s, SCAR, AR15s, everything.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone got links to a little more detail on determining the best working buffers and spring combos for individual rifles?

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I would bet this problem could be taken care of by using side cutters to cut off one loop of the bolt catch spring. Sometimes the spring can be a little too stiff which can overpower the magazine follower spring. Worst case scenario you are out a spring that is less than $1 to replace.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Anyone got links to a little more detail on determining the best working buffers and spring combos for individual rifles?
    I've wondered this too. I've built quite a few ar's and generally had good to great results. The spring and pin assembly is easy enough to get right, but I know there is more to the build process for BEST results and build quality. Spring/buffer combos, gas system tuning, etc.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Here's a pretty thorough overview of different buffers and types of guns they're designed to work with.

[video=youtube_share;DYf-MLMODhA]http://youtu.be/DYf-MLMODhA[/video]

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I kind of punted on this one. Before I could run any decent quality ammo through it, I installed a FA Binary trigger and heavier buffer spring. I had the chance to run it hard this weekend and put about 400 rounds through it using both the Wolf Gold and Federal 55g 5.56 ammo. It ran without a single hiccup.

This is not my go-to rifle and is set up for fun and the binary trigger sure delivers on that. The rifle came with a faux third pin and safe-semi-auto engravings. That third setting now has some meaning to it even if not full auto.

Top Bottom