• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    I thought I would share some of the hassles I’ve experienced with a 15/22.

I purchased a 15/22 MOE version a couple years ago as a back up steel challenge rifle. I’ve been shooing a tactical solutions upper on an AR for several years. Several of my friends I shot with had early models of the 15/22. Every one of them ran flawlessly. They seemed to be less picky than my upper overall.

I hadn’t shot my 15/22 after sighting in until last year. I talked a friend into attending a steel challenge with me last summer. I let him shoot the Tactical Solutions AR with Eotech and I shot the 15/22 in rimfire iron sights. It was awful shooting the 15/22. It jammed at least twice on every stage. Every time brass would be stuck between the bolt and barrel. I didn’t get to diagnose much while clearing the jams on the clock.

A couple weeks ago I started working on the rifle. Searching google for failure to eject produced lots of info on ejectors out of adjustment. I tweaked the ejector and validated alignment with a piece of spent brass. After shooting it again it was doing the same thing with my normal federal auto match ammo. CCI mini mags seemed to run somewhat better but The ejector adjustment had no affect on the issues. I noticed when the failure happened the hammer wasn’t reset. It appeared the bolt wasn’t traveling back with enough force to eject the spent brass and reset the hammer. That was the justification I needed to spend some money on a trigger upgrade. The factory trigger was a far cry from the JP in my primary rifle. I found the brownells geissele rapid fire trigger on sale and ordered it with an assortment of JP Springs.

The Geissele was a simple install. I proactively installed the 4lb JP Tactical spring kit while installing the trigger. I’ve made two trips to the range this week and shot about 600 rounds with no issues. I didn’t even clean the gun between the two trips just to see if it would start to malfunction as it gets dirty. I’m tempted to try different springs to understand the issues better. The rifle seems to like this Geissele and JP spring setup.

Has anyone had similar experiences with 15/22’s?

Has anyone found anti rotation pins that work in the 15/22? I’m concerned the rotation of the hammer pin will cause long term wear in the polymer lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I cant say that i have had the same issues as you because i changed the trigger as soon as i got mine home. I run a binary trigger in one of mine and like you wanted to use anti rotation pins.
    Found out that you have to order some made specifically for the 15-22 because the pins are longer. My search led to a small company in northern Indiana called Squirreldaddy.com. Wierd company name but his prices are great. Free shipping on almost everything. Pins cost 9.95 i think. I just ordered another set for the 15-22 ,4 sets for my other AR's and 3 stainless guide rods for my Ruger Sr22's. Cost was 54.00 for everything.
    They carry all kinds of AR tools and stuff cheap but good equipment

Last edited:

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    I cant say that i have had the same issues as you because i changed the trigger as soon as i got mine home. I run a binary trigger in one of mine and like you wanted to use anti rotation pins.
    Found out that you have to order some made specifically for the 15-22 because the pins are longer. My search led to a small company in northern Indiana called Squirreldaddy.com. Wierd company name but his prices are great. Free shipping on almost everything. Pins cost 9.95 i think. I just ordered another set for the 15-22 ,4 sets for my other AR's and 3 stainless guide rods for my Ruger Sr22's. Cost was 54.00 for everything.

I'll check them out. Thank you for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I had the same issue ,I had to tweet the ejector up and out ,after I made the adjustments it ran great

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    Smith Wesson M&P 15/22 hassles

I had the same issue ,I had to tweet the ejector up and out ,after I made the adjustments it ran great

Glad to hear that was all yours needed. It just seems sloppy on S&W's part to miss a detail like ejector adjustment.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    Smith Wesson M&P 15/22 hassles

It looks like Squirrel Daddy is only about 15 min from my house. I can just drive over and pick up some. Thanks again for the info.

Top Bottom