• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Took up this project after seeing a Forgotten Weapons video about a Mauser carbine. It's made from a repro the chinese made for Navy arms sold during the 80s. The internals are from a 1930 broomhandle with a shell made to copy the very few carbines Mauser made only having a 16 inch barrel for NFA compliance. Started by asking Mouse if he thought Allen M would be interested in making the scope mount as I've been impressed with the work I've seen on modern guns with electronic sights. The scope is a Zeiss from east Germany during the 50s, using the post and bar reticle. In keeping with what was said about the original and a little research on steampunk guns, I thought the mount might look better with brass. The scope doesn't adjust side to side so Allen added the adjusting screws for the side mount. His work is excellent and I was impressed with what he delivered which started out as a folded piece of cut out paper. Mounting it on the right side might seem strange, but the comb on these stocks is so low when you cheek the rifle, the right side is where your right eye is. The evil black rifle of today has an ancestor in the past.:)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This picture give a better view of the top. I wanted the firing controls and the bolt to be easy to work so that was another benefit to having the scope on the right side. You can easily work the safety with the right thumb while gripping the carbine. We modified the bolt to allow charging with the left index finger by elongating and making a hook on the left bolt ear. Unlike the gun on forgotten weapons charging the rifle with a stripper is easy with the left hand. The wood parts of the gun were waxed rubberwood, not real attractive so I refinished them to give a closer fit to the modern evil black rifle but kept it more of a dark brown to stay in the steampunk genre. The brass was a little too bright so I put a patina on it with some ferric nitrate.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The original inspiration, it would have had problems with brass being ejected into the scope and impossible to charge from a stripper without removing the scope first.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Very well thought through project... I'm a fan of these types of projects and (as you pointed out) this is a much better blend of fashion and function than the inspiration!

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Y4YFthE.gif

Top Bottom