Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

Stuck action screws

I just got a 7mm Mauser, and can't take it down to check/clean it. The action screws just will not budge. Any ideas, or am I gonna end up going to a smith?
    You know what I like best about most people? Their dogs.

User Info Menu

Kroil. Let 'er soak overnight. I've had to let some screws sit for a few days.
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

User Info Menu

Got it soaking now with some penetrating oil. Guess we'll see.

Expert

User Info Menu

'Penetrating' oil isn't Kroil.
    Never seen anything like Kroil, beats everything I've ever tried by a long shot.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    'Penetrating' oil isn't Kroil.
    Never seen anything like Kroil, beats everything I've ever tried by a long shot.
    ^ KROIL and than mount the gun in a vise so your hands are free. Use a proper fitting screwdriver bit, tight and full width of the screw. Hold it fully engaged and pressed hard into the slot and use some leverage on it.

This is an example of what I would use...

Need to spend a few dollars on the right tools and wait for delivery? Do it. The alternative may be a striped screw slot, a badly gouged stock and an expensive trip to a gunsmith.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    ^ KROIL and than mount the gun in a vise so your hands are free. Use a proper fitting screwdriver bit, tight and full width of the screw. Hold it fully engaged and pressed hard into the slot and use some leverage on it.

This is an example of what I would use...

Need to spend a few dollars on the right tools and wait for delivery? Do it. The alternative may be a striped screw slot, a badly gouged stock and an expensive trip to a gunsmith.
    It's extremely important to use a proper fitting screwdriver or driver bit.
    Those screws have most likely been in place for decades. You can break them or destroy the heads if not careful.
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

Expert

User Info Menu

Well, not to point out the obvious,
    A gunsmith will have the correct tools...

I've had to clamp the part, put it in the drill press, and use the drill press for leveraged down force so the driver didn't gouge the fastener before.
    Some things are REALLY stubborn...

Kroil works better than anything I've ever tried,
    An actual gun screw driver set is mandatory for older firearms, they aren't the same as modern or common screws,
    An impact driver is rarely useful since the screws snap/twist off often as not using an impact driver...

Clean out the screw head, wipe in some lapping compound so the driver bit gets a solid grip in the screw head helps keep slippage to a minimum.

Kroil, proper driver bit, LOTS of properly aligned down force...
    And a quick prayer to John Browning doesn't hurt!

User Info Menu

Yeah... all my tools (punches and screwdrivers) are regular mechanics tools meant for stuff like vehicles. I'm thinking I'd better just take her in to the smith...