• gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    'Penetrating' oil isn't Kroil.
    Never seen anything like Kroil, beats everything I've ever tried by a long shot.

^ KROIL and than mount the gun in a vise so your hands are free. Use a proper fitting screwdriver bit, tight and full width of the screw. Hold it fully engaged and pressed hard into the slot and use some leverage on it.

This is an example of what I would use...

B1n5OLG.jpg

Need to spend a few dollars on the right tools and wait for delivery? Do it. The alternative may be a striped screw slot, a badly gouged stock and an expensive trip to a gunsmith.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    ^ KROIL and than mount the gun in a vise so your hands are free. Use a proper fitting screwdriver bit, tight and full width of the screw. Hold it fully engaged and pressed hard into the slot and use some leverage on it.

This is an example of what I would use...

B1n5OLG.jpg

Need to spend a few dollars on the right tools and wait for delivery? Do it. The alternative may be a striped screw slot, a badly gouged stock and an expensive trip to a gunsmith.

It's extremely important to use a proper fitting screwdriver or driver bit.
    Those screws have most likely been in place for decades. You can break them or destroy the heads if not careful.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Well, not to point out the obvious,
    A gunsmith will have the correct tools...

I've had to clamp the part, put it in the drill press, and use the drill press for leveraged down force so the driver didn't gouge the fastener before.
    Some things are REALLY stubborn...

Kroil works better than anything I've ever tried,
    An actual gun screw driver set is mandatory for older firearms, they aren't the same as modern or common screws,
    An impact driver is rarely useful since the screws snap/twist off often as not using an impact driver...

Clean out the screw head, wipe in some lapping compound so the driver bit gets a solid grip in the screw head helps keep slippage to a minimum.

Kroil, proper driver bit, LOTS of properly aligned down force...
    And a quick prayer to John Browning doesn't hurt! ;)

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Yeah... all my tools (punches and screwdrivers) are regular mechanics tools meant for stuff like vehicles. I'm thinking I'd better just take her in to the smith...

Top Bottom