Cracked Mainspring Housing? Should I worry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Hi guys,

So I think my mainspring housing has a crack spidered down from the top on one side. It doesn't seem to go all the way through, doesn't seem to be causing an issue, and doesn't look like it is going to crack further.

I'll attach some photos of it. Is this concerning? Should I replace it asap or just put it on the list of parts to get soon?

20190528_062819.jpg
    20190528_062836.jpg
    20190527_144147.jpg

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    If it's cracked, replace it.

Yeah I was planning to replace it anyway with a SS version.

This is a new Colt 1911 Competition Series I picked up less than a month ago. It has probably 600 rounds through it (2 or 3 range trips) and this was the second time I detail stripped the frame (I was installing a new safety).

Is this a normal issue? I wasn't expecting to see that crack after such little use.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Plastic? Guide rod bent it after assembly? I would think accuracy would be affected.

Yeah it's plastic. I've only pulled the housing out twice and this is the top where the hammer strut presses down. Can't understand why it would crack after such little use. I'm hoping it's not something I did.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I haven’t had a newer colt across my bench but I’m surprised to hear it’s a plastic mainspring housing. Depending on what the purpose of the pistol is, I would replace it sooner rather than later. It probably wont fail completely, but why take the chance. It is a cheap part and easy to replace.

When you replace it, polish the inside of the housing and the mainspring cap. Pay attention to the inside of tunnel, as I have seen some pretty nasty machine marks/ridges on the inside of a few.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Seriously! Plastic on a 1911? Blasphemy!
    It was bad enough when they started to make lighter "SPECIAL ALLOY" frames. Just say Aluminum. That's what it is.

There is a time and place for plastic on guns.
    In the toy box and as a prop in theatre. Everything else should be trashed. This includes the frame.

"But all steel is too heavy" - This is why girly-men shouldn't carry guns. :xmad:

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Seriously! Plastic on a 1911? Blasphemy!
    It was bad enough when they started to make lighter "SPECIAL ALLOY" frames. Just say Aluminum. That's what it is.

There is a time and place for plastic on guns.
    In the toy box and as a prop in theatre. Everything else should be trashed. This includes the frame.

"But all steel is too heavy" - This is why girly-men shouldn't carry guns. :xmad:

LOL. I have a G34 too so I'm part of the problem :n00b:

That said, I dig my 1911. I might move over to single stack in competitions. I've only been shooting a short time.

I haven’t had a newer colt across my bench but I’m surprised to hear it’s a plastic mainspring housing. Depending on what the purpose of the pistol is, I would replace it sooner rather than later. It probably wont fail completely, but why take the chance. It is a cheap part and easy to replace.

When you replace it, polish the inside of the housing and the mainspring cap. Pay attention to the inside of tunnel, as I have seen some pretty nasty machine marks/ridges on the inside of a few.

Sure thing. Thanks for the info

I'll grab a SS replacement soon. I am already about to make another thread to show off the work I've done to this 1911 already. I want tips and advice on where to go with it parts wise, etc.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I would replace it. You can buy a blued steel mainspring housing for around $25. Stainless will be more obviously. Pretty simple swap but do what praff said with the polishing.

Top Bottom