Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Cracked Mainspring Housing? Should I worry?

Hi guys,

So I think my mainspring housing has a crack spidered down from the top on one side. It doesn't seem to go all the way through, doesn't seem to be causing an issue, and doesn't look like it is going to crack further.

I'll attach some photos of it. Is this concerning? Should I replace it asap or just put it on the list of parts to get soon?

20190528_062819.jpg
    20190528_062836.jpg
    20190527_144147.jpg

User Info Menu

Plastic? Guide rod bent it after assembly? I would think accuracy would be affected.

User Info Menu

If it's cracked, replace it.
    1911s are like Glocks except they are for grown-ups.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Richardson View Post
    If it's cracked, replace it.
    Yeah I was planning to replace it anyway with a SS version.

This is a new Colt 1911 Competition Series I picked up less than a month ago. It has probably 600 rounds through it (2 or 3 range trips) and this was the second time I detail stripped the frame (I was installing a new safety).

Is this a normal issue? I wasn't expecting to see that crack after such little use.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sigblitz View Post
    Plastic? Guide rod bent it after assembly? I would think accuracy would be affected.
    Yeah it's plastic. I've only pulled the housing out twice and this is the top where the hammer strut presses down. Can't understand why it would crack after such little use. I'm hoping it's not something I did.

User Info Menu

I doubt it's anything you did. I always replace the plastic ones even if they aren't cracked.
    1911s are like Glocks except they are for grown-ups.

User Info Menu

I havenít had a newer colt across my bench but Iím surprised to hear itís a plastic mainspring housing. Depending on what the purpose of the pistol is, I would replace it sooner rather than later. It probably wont fail completely, but why take the chance. It is a cheap part and easy to replace.

When you replace it, polish the inside of the housing and the mainspring cap. Pay attention to the inside of tunnel, as I have seen some pretty nasty machine marks/ridges on the inside of a few.
    07/02 Manufacturer FFL/SOT
    Full Custom 1911 and 2011 Competition and Defensive pistols
    Class III Manufacturing, Gunsmithing and NFA Transfers
    Cerakote Application

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Richardson View Post
    I doubt it's anything you did. I always replace the plastic ones even if they aren't cracked.
    ^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nepherael View Post
    Cracked Mainspring Housing? Should I worry?
    Just buy a new watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

User Info Menu

Seriously! Plastic on a 1911? Blasphemy!
    It was bad enough when they started to make lighter "SPECIAL ALLOY" frames. Just say Aluminum. That's what it is.

There is a time and place for plastic on guns.
    In the toy box and as a prop in theatre. Everything else should be trashed. This includes the frame.

"But all steel is too heavy" - This is why girly-men shouldn't carry guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast