Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Suggestions for mis-feeding CMMG MKG 45acp?

I'll try to keep this tidy, but it seems like a messy problem.

Glock 21 magazines, usually loaded to just 10 rounds for square range paper punching.
    Inconsistent feeding, but always on the 3rd to the last round when it occurs...always.
    I haven't been able to get the misfeed to occur when I only load 5 rounds in the mag.

The misfeed usually involves a bolt over-ride of the round and a nose up condition.

I've tried American Eagle, S&B, Independence, UMC, my own reloads. All of it 230gn ball; some plated, some FMJ.
    The malfunction frequency changes with the ammo, but seems to be more dependent upon which mag I am using.

It is also amazingly, consistently inconsistent. The only consistency when it occurs is that is always 3rd from the last round, always 3rd from the last...unless I only loaded 5.

I've considered calling CMMG, they have been helpful on other problems I had with one of their other firearms. I'm just afraid of sending it back and and getting the response that they couldn't get it to malfunction.

So, mag problem? Finicky ammo-gun? Does anybody have any opinions on the Glock extra-power springs?

Just being cheap, trollin' for the easy solution...thanks.

User Info Menu

Have you marked the mags that this happens with? Or does it happen to all the mags?

If you've marked the problem mags, I'd start by replacing a follower or two in those mags. Should be a cheap and easy way to determine? Springs, too.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Yep, marked all the mags. It happens with all the mags, some are better than others. Ammo vs mags is something I just started playing with.

I haven't considered the followers. Is there something aftermarket?
    I was looking at the springs on Midway, they are only 7 bucks, I might throw a couple in the cart next time I order.

User Info Menu

Maybe a mag release issue if it's happening to multiple magazines.

I'd start there.

I'd doubt that every magazine has bad springs and followers.
    Stay safe,

Brett Havlin

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

Try resting the gun on the mag when you fire it if you can. From your description, a mag seating issue seems most likely.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

User Info Menu

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I looked up the specs for the feed-lip gap. Mine look to be a little on the tight side. I'm not certain if that is intentional to account for wear or not.
    I figured I would find the worst performing mag and then start experimenting on it.

User Info Menu

Alrighty! I made it back to the range.

I loaded up a magazine, first time, three rounds to go, misfeed. I done it again, misfeed again!
    I tried the mono-pod on the magazine. No problems. Did it again. No problems.
    Went back to standing and the magazine fell out of the gun. That took me a little by surprise. That never happened before. So I reloaded the mag, made certain it was seated, three to the end the magazine fell on the ground and I was certain I was nowhere near the release.

Upon inspection of the magazine, I saw that there was now a burr, or lip, raised up on the mag catch/notch. The plastic is deformed and cold-flowed. I tried to get a picture of it, but it is small and black on black is hard to get a photo of it.

I guess CMMG is going to be contacted today.

User Info Menu

After a week of negotiations and sending photos to CMMG, it looks like a trip to Missouri is required for inspection and evaluation.

I'll probably end the updates here. Customer service response has been positive.

It is a pet peeve of mine that troubleshooting threads rarely have any closure.

User Info Menu

Just another update for the story...

CMMG has opened the mag well, replaced the mag catch and added a mag catch shim.

For whatever its worth, maybe someone will find the information useful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Karl-just-Karl View Post
    Just another update for the story...

CMMG has opened the mag well, replaced the mag catch and added a mag catch shim.

For whatever its worth, maybe someone will find the information useful.
    Is it still on its way back or did you already get it? Interested to hear if this fixes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_N_Stein
    I am trying to turn every thread I involve myself in into a **** show.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast