• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith capable of repairing a pair of very old flintlock pistols? Preferably in or near Indianapolis. Had them with an auctioneer who turned out to be less than stellar and damaged both of them. Broke the screw that retains the hammer on one. The other is now locked up and can't even pull the hammer back.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I don't know of anyone, but I have repaired several old flintlocks myself. They really aren't that hard to work on, if you can't find anyone. I have a mainspring vise that I could loan you and would be happy to assist. The biggest problem is finding parts, unless you are very lucky, you are likely to either have to settle for reproduction parts, or using something that isn't quite exactly the same. The good news is that the screws from that era are very soft, so even re-threading something to fit can be done.

BTW, sorry that this happened to your old guns. I can't even imagine how an auctioneer could break a hammer screw?

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Sorry to hear this.. Sounds like a real professional auctioneer.
    If you had them with an auctioneer, are you thinking of selling them? If so, you might be money ahead to just price them as is.
    Anyone that has experience with these old guns wouldn't be much concerned about them being operational, figuring they could fix them, figuring it sounds like it wouldnt take much to get them going.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I would hit the next muzzleloader show at the Hamilton Co 4H building, their will be a plethora of experience in working on vintage firearms available to talk to.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Clay Pigeon's response reminded me of someone else. John Schippers always has a table at the Tipton Gun Show, always the first table on the right, next to the windows, after you enter the door. He hand makes Pennsylvania rifles from scratch, they are so good that they have been mistaken for original period pieces.

Here is a link to a book he wrote to give you an idea:
    https://www.airgraver.com/Engraving-Historic-Firarms-John-Schippers.htm

He also still teaches classes at Conner Prairie. Perhaps they could give you his contact info, and even if he won't do it he probably knows who would be good.
    https://www.connerprairie.org/event/arts-arms-stock-carving-silver-wire-inlay/2019-10-09/

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    I may have to check John out. Wish I would of thought about him. We set up at the last Tipton show. This will give you an idea of how ornate they are. Matching pair, with powder horn and bullet box. All silver. 1.jpg

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Can't guess what the hammer lock up is without seeing the lock.

The hammer screw can probably be faithfully reproduced by an antique watch & clock repair man.
    In authentic flint lock days, the screw turning lathes were hand driven and common between clock makers & gunsmiths.
    Watch & clock repair guys usually have full sets of lead screws/die teeth.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Clay Pigeon's response reminded me of someone else. John Schippers always has a table at the Tipton Gun Show, always the first table on the right, next to the windows, after you enter the door. He hand makes Pennsylvania rifles from scratch, they are so good that they have been mistaken for original period pieces.

Here is a link to a book he wrote to give you an idea:
    https://www.airgraver.com/Engraving-Historic-Firarms-John-Schippers.htm

He also still teaches classes at Conner Prairie. Perhaps they could give you his contact info, and even if he won't do it he probably knows who would be good.
    https://www.connerprairie.org/event/arts-arms-stock-carving-silver-wire-inlay/2019-10-09/

John will point him in the right direction..He normally can also can be seen at the Hamilton 4H show. He finished some engraving a few years back..

Top Bottom