Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

AR-15 Hammer not locking back.

I'm having a problem with the hammer not locking back after discharging a round.

What happens: round fires, bolt cycles and loads a new round, but it isn't cocking the hammer. I can manually pull it back far enough to cock it and it cocks then i let the BCG slide forward and it fires kind of like a bolt action. It just started happening today at the range. I have over 2,000 rds through it. I cleaned it just to be sure that was not the problem. I cannot find any reason why it should be doing this. Has anyone had this problem? If so whats going on?

5.56mm

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Do you mean it will fire with the trigger after you pull the charging handle to cock the hammer.
    If so check the gas tube on the BCG. If tight dismantle and check the rings in the bolt. Also clean that area really well if you have not been doing that.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Hop

User Info Menu

Worn disconnector or broken disconnector spring maybe. You need to do a no-ammo-anywhere-near-the-gun-function-test.

Keep the trigger back while cycling the bolt. When the trigger is to the rear, the disconnector should grab & hold the hammer. Release the trigger and the hammer should click forward and get caught on the sear.

User Info Menu

That's what I mean.

I did clean it at range.

Hop I'll try that now get back to you.

Okay Hop I did that test. I let go of trigger nothing happens. If I push the trigger forward it will engage the hammer. I'll have to take it apart see if the spring is broken.
    Last edited by DadSmith; 07-02-2019 at 20:51.

User Info Menu

Have you recently taken your trigger group apart? The reason I ask is because I was having the same problem a couple of months ago and it turns out I put the trigger spring in backwards.
    -Christopher

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Worn disconnector or broken disconnector spring maybe. You need to do a no-ammo-anywhere-near-the-gun-function-test.

Keep the trigger back while cycling the bolt. When the trigger is to the rear, the disconnector should grab & hold the hammer. Release the trigger and the hammer should click forward and get caught on the sear.
    Hop the disconnector spring had came out a little and was binding up. I took it out looks okay. I put it back in it seemed to be caught on a burr I think I pushed on it with my punch about 10X and it seated like it should. It's working again.

What's your suggestion replace or see how it works?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chr15topher View Post
    Have you recently taken your trigger group apart? The reason I ask is because I was having the same problem a couple of months ago and it turns out I put the trigger spring in backwards.
    No its been in since I built it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    No its been in since I built it.
    Please take it to a professional certified gunsmith. Just sayin.
    "See you on the Range"

User Info Menu

Got it working already. Don't need a gunsmith for a spring.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

What was the issue? Trigger spring initially positioned incorrectly?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast