• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • way2good4u95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 5, 2018
    Plainfield
    I wanna take a moment to say how awesome the 80 percent arms easy jig 2 is. I am a DIY guy and wanted to try out an 80 lower. I figured a jig was a jig and clearly I was wrong. I bought a drill press jig from Thunder Tactical. How did that work out? Well, it broke my drill press, ruined the jig, along with ruining an 80% lower as pictured below.
    5CuJwqZ.jpg

After I was finished being pissed off, I did some research and bought the 80% Arms Easy Jig 2. It was more than the junk drill press jig but well worth the money seeing I have more now tied up in ruined tools and parts. Live and learn. But the easy jig performed flawlessly and it was so easy. With the router and jig, milling was precision.
    jJugoqT.jpg

iTejMIG.jpg
    My ffl dealer said he wouldn’t have known they were 80% lowers. Anyone can do it! Buy once cry once. I can’t be happier.

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    I Also had very bad luck with the drill press jig. I bought it from PRI along with an a1 profile 80. It’s not completely ruined but I stopped before it got to that point. Will more than likely spend the coin to buy one of the easy jig kits.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    How many lowers can you mill with the bits, do they get dull?

If you have good chip evacuation and use lube, HSS end mill wont really dull per-say on aluminum. More or less going to fight it loading up on the cutter than anything.

7075 Aluminum usually machines pretty good though, less gummy than 6061 for example, wont load up as bad.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I AGREE!

Check out Weaponsguild forum, pretty much an entire site dedicated to it, really neat.

This is the only forum I’m a member of and I can barely keep up here, lol.

Ill let you make the thread, I’ll participate for sure! Been machining since I graduated, you figure out prettt quick who in the shop is a hack and who knows their ****. By what you’ve shown, I’d love to talk machining with you. Really good work! Enjoying following your glock slide.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've heard it's difficult to impossible to get anodizing vendors to do 80% lowers, is this true, something to do with Federal law?

I love the idea but would want a fully finished part and that means anodizing after all machine work, edge break and fine glass bead blast is done. I know there's Carakote but I'd rather go hardcoat Type 3.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I bought th Anderson jig.

The jig worked well with the drill press. But sadly due to the instructions provided by Anderson I broke several bits. The next one I do will be the same jig but with a slight modification to the directions.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I bought th Anderson jig.

The jig worked well with the drill press. But sadly due to the instructions provided by Anderson I broke several bits. The next one I do will be the same jig but with a slight modification to the directions.

Peck drill, clear the chips. Careful of the break through, it will want to suck the drill through and break it.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Peck drill, clear the chips. Careful of the break through, it will want to suck the drill through and break it.
    The problem was, the directions tell you to drill the side holes first. Then stand it up and then drill a bunch of holes for the control group area. The problem is, when you are drilling down and hit the channel from the side holes it bends the bit and either binds it up or snaps the bit.

the next one ill do the side holes last.

rotag84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Just did my first AR using easy jig gen II and one of their 80% anodized lowers. Came you great. Used a drill press and followed their instructions. No problems. Mated with a PSA carbine upper. Shoots and looks great. The only thing I did different than the instructions was I started with smaller bit sizes for the pilot hole then worked up to the 21/64(?). Other than that, went fine.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I watched a buddy complete a lower with the Easy Jig Gen 2 with drill press and a router and he made it look easy. He's completed two builds using lowers he did on that jig and they've been great rifles so far. ZR Tactical sometimes has "practice" lowers you can buy for $16 (they are out of stock at the moment). I bought one of those a few weeks ago along with my own Easy Jig Gen 2. I hope to have time this weekend to try it out.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    The 7075 aluminum are a no go for welding. It will break at a later date. The 6061 can be welded then machined and should survive.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I would buy a piece of bar stock and practice with it before I would do that. Get a lot more material for that price, you'd be able to get a few attempts in on the one piece.

just my 2 cents

Top Bottom