Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

User Info Menu

OK I was missing that point that there's no action/receiver separate from the barrel to be tapped for the scope mount. I'd suggest talking to a machinist (like allenm) about how to attach it to the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by NKBJ View Post
    This is a muzzleloader. In other words, the stock is the action.
    No, the stock is not the action, the barrel functions as the receiver/action.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by russc2542 View Post
    No, the stock is not the action, the barrel functions as the receiver/action.
    Correct. The stock only acts as a trigger housing.
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

Which will flex more, synthetic stock or metal barrel?

I would not mount a scope to a stock. Slight bend, crack, bump, and you're shooting several feet even yards off target.

Do it once, do it right, mount it to the barrel.
    Stay safe,

Brett Havlin

Marksman

User Info Menu

Drill and tap the barrel. Mount a scope base, then rings, then a scope. You can use a quick detach scope mount if you really want to totally disassemble to clean the barrel. Personally, total disassembly is over rated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKBJ View Post
    Anyone familiar with installing a scope side mount directly on a rifle stock of synthetic material?

For my interests it would be for a muzzleloader with bedded barrel and tang. But, perhaps there's someone out there that has experience with stock materials with sufficient or insufficient tensile strength, thermal stability, bonding agents, whatever.
    Anyone?
    Have you tried duct tape yet? I'd start there first. Then as a last resort drill your stock for mounting a scope.
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

JHB
    Plinker

User Info Menu

When Knight was making muzzle loaders they drilled and taped the barrel it worked just fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2