• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Anyone familiar with installing a scope side mount directly on a rifle stock of synthetic material?

For my interests it would be for a muzzleloader with bedded barrel and tang. But, perhaps there's someone out there that has experience with stock materials with sufficient or insufficient tensile strength, thermal stability, bonding agents, whatever.
    Anyone?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's going to be tough, one of the places I work has parts where metal is screwed to injection molded plastic and they make allowances for the movement of the screws even though the are in very tight. For composite layups like Kevlar and carbon they have tighter tolerances if that's what the stock is.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Sights and sighting systems are not mounted to stocks.

I'd been circling this one, not wanting to be the first to post in case someone else more knowledgeable came along but since it's been said, I'll third it.

I will however further the conversation by asking what is the motivation to mount it to the stock rather than the receiver or possibly barrel?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    russc,
    As stated my interest is in trying it out on a muzzleloader.
    My suspicions are that this could work with a synthetic stock (depending upon the material), doing a nice bedding on the barrel and tang, high end epoxy for bonding of the mount to the stock. A picatinny rail could be bonded to the top of the barrel for a double lever quick disconnect mount for washing the barrel. However, not on the barrel would be better.

Now that I'm getting long in the tooth and eye balls I'm experimenting a little with extended eye relief scopes on muzzleloaders and will be doing more. It's one of my favorite hobbies working with the antiquated techniques, molds, alloys, rifling geometry and twists, lubes, jackets, patching.

A rifle that I'm eyeballing for this stock mounting project is an inexpensively obtained fifty with the industry typical 48" twist. It will likely work well with maxis, minies, perhaps with REAL's and maybe with my paper patched bullets. And no doubt a bean can across the yard will be short lived with .49 round ball and 40 weight patch.

If it does work out it opens up some fun future possibilities with custom barrels that do not need sights. Maybe a target plinking and small game rifle using a Traditions Deerhunter as the platform, perhaps an octagonal to round tapered barrel to use .357 molds as well as .35 round ball. I'd be surprised if bedding was even needed.

Any how, that's where my mind is running with this.
    And so far the best thing to try appears to be (of course!) JB Weld.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Get in touch with AllenM. I am sure he can figure something out for you that will actually work. (eg attaching the scope to the action, not the stock)

The stock is relatively disconnected from the action. Attaching the scope to the stock would be accurate enough for a scatter gun, but thats about it. I wouldnt do it for a rifle.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is a muzzleloader. In other words, the stock is the action.

Fine. Substitute barrel for action. The scope needs to be attached to the part the bullet comes out to be accurate. Plain and simple. Anything else won’t be accurate.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    OK I was missing that point that there's no action/receiver separate from the barrel to be tapped for the scope mount. I'd suggest talking to a machinist (like allenm) about how to attach it to the barrel.

This is a muzzleloader. In other words, the stock is the action.

No, the stock is not the action, the barrel functions as the receiver/action.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Which will flex more, synthetic stock or metal barrel?

I would not mount a scope to a stock. Slight bend, crack, bump, and you're shooting several feet even yards off target.

Do it once, do it right, mount it to the barrel.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Drill and tap the barrel. Mount a scope base, then rings, then a scope. You can use a quick detach scope mount if you really want to totally disassemble to clean the barrel. Personally, total disassembly is over rated.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Anyone familiar with installing a scope side mount directly on a rifle stock of synthetic material?

For my interests it would be for a muzzleloader with bedded barrel and tang. But, perhaps there's someone out there that has experience with stock materials with sufficient or insufficient tensile strength, thermal stability, bonding agents, whatever.
    Anyone?

Have you tried duct tape yet? I'd start there first. Then as a last resort drill your stock for mounting a scope.

Top Bottom