• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There are multiple jigs out there for proper alignment to drill the rear hole.

Would a bore snake be easier? Yes, but I’ve yet to have a 22 come close to being clean with just a bore snake.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There is a pattern out there somewhere. I think I printed it out at one time.

Or Brownells makes jig for $50.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ools/10-22-receiver-drilling-jig-prod989.aspx

Here is an article from RimFire Central.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1040770

T1xGPE6.jpg

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    That is a very easy job if you know what you are doing. If it takes more than a minuet or two to figure out how to lay out for the hole get a jig or bring it to a gunsmith. A new receiver may be cheaper than having a gunsmith do it. This all depends on your mechanical abilities and the use of hand tools.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bore snakes are not the be all end all remedy and often come up short.
    Sure they are ok for some applications but fall short if you want to be thorough.
    I don’t know why people keep recommending these for anything but a stop gap measure.
    Every time you use one you cross contaminate if you use one more than once.
    You cannot clear any obstructions with a string. You can’t push a rope!
    If you are just using it for a cursory clean go for it but for anything more there are way better options.
    Regarding modifying any rifle I would use a gunsmith.
    I’m sure there are potential legal ramifications for modifying one plus I’d want someone competent performing the task.
    What are you going to do if the MF blows up in your face and you lose an eye?
    I’ve put thousands of rounds through the 10/22 platform and clean the usual way.
    I’ve also seen this mod mentioned so maybe I’m missing something and willing to learn.
    My $.02 ymmv

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Bore snakes are not the be all end all remedy and often come up short.
    Sure they are ok for some applications but fall short if you want to be thorough.
    I don’t know why people keep recommending these for anything but a stop gap measure.
    Every time you use one you cross contaminate if you use one more than once.
    You cannot clear any obstructions with a string. You can’t push a rope!
    If you are just using it for a cursory clean go for it but for anything more there are way better options.
    Regarding modifying any rifle I would use a gunsmith.
    I’m sure there are potential legal ramifications for modifying one plus I’d want someone competent performing the task.
    What are you going to do if the MF blows up in your face and you lose an eye?
    I’ve put thousands of rounds through the 10/22 platform and clean the usual way.
    I’ve also seen this mod mentioned so maybe I’m missing something and willing to learn.
    My $.02 ymmv

This modification is putting a hole in the back of the receiver behind the buffer pin. The idea being that you clean it from the chamber and avoid and risk of damaging the crown. Basic model 10/22s, cleaning from the muzzle may not matter. For those that have fully built 10/22s most of us will never clean from the muzzle.

The only legal ramification would be the potential loss of warranty. Really isn’t any possible way drilling this hole can cause a 10/22 to blow up. It’s simple as using the proper drill bit and placement to put a hole in the back of the receiver.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Many aftermarket rcvrs come with the "cleaning hole".

Not a hard job. Careful measurement and a centerpunch to mark the hole and you can do it with a padded vice and a hand drill.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    On RimfireCentral they have a loaner program for the jig. Only cost the postage for returning it or sending it to the next person. Real simple and only takes a couple of minutes.

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    Just how really chean do you need a ruger 10/22 to be? I rarely chean mine with more than a spaying gun cleaner down it then dry patches and CLP. If its that dirty just 3 screws and you remove the stock and barrel to do a deep clean rather than drilling holes in it. but to each their own.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just how really chean do you need a ruger 10/22 to be? I rarely chean mine with more than a spaying gun cleaner down it then dry patches and CLP. If its that dirty just 3 screws and you remove the stock and barrel to do a deep clean rather than drilling holes in it. but to each their own.

The hole just allows you to clean the barrel from breech instead of the muzzle. It’s more of protecting the crown than about how clean it is.

For instance, the Kidd barrel on my wife’s build costs more than the cheapest factory 10/22. I’m not going to risk any damage to the crown of the barrel by cleaning it from the muzzle.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    The hole just allows you to clean the barrel from breech instead of the muzzle. It’s more of protecting the crown than about how clean it is.

For instance, the Kidd barrel on my wife’s build costs more than the cheapest factory 10/22. I’m not going to risk any damage to the crown of the barrel by cleaning it from the muzzle.

I really think ruger missed the boat on this, if you look at their "custom" shop models, they come with the hole drilled in the receiver, tactical solutions has the hole drilled, I think the volquartsen has it, my brownells receiver has it, why the hell doesn't ruger put it on all their 10/22's?

as for the boresnake/pull thru cleaners, I use one every so often (I have bore snakes, Otis, real avid, remington squeegee) but two times a year, I remove the barrel (my 10/22's) and clean the snot out of them, and rezero, and they're good as new.

I really like the Remington squeegee as the last step in a pull thru cleaner, plus their (and the Otis) are threaded for cleaning jag's and brushes, the only problem ive ever had with a pull thru was yesterday I wasn't paying attention and my Otis pull thru got stuck in the chamber of my 22/45, I mean stuck! I had my daughter hold the barrel while I pulled the rope, all I did was drag her across the room, so I threaded a brass jag into it (they are threaded on both ends) and used a pair if needle nose pliers and pulled it out from the breech (the rope had frayed and that's why it got stuck).

I always tell people that a pull thru cleaner wont replace a cleaning rod, but it'll push if off a little while

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I understand the reasoning behind cleaning from the breach. Isn't there still a reason to be concerned about your cleaning rod getting into the front of the chamber/throat area without a bore guide?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I understand the reasoning behind cleaning from the breach. Isn't there still a reason to be concerned about your cleaning rod getting into the front of the chamber/throat area without a bore guide?

The receiver hole in my Kidd receiver is fairly small and once the cloth patch has guided the entry, the receiver hole acts as a bore guide. The distance between the receiver hole and chamber is short enough that you would have to introduce a lot of bend in the rod to make contact.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

if my aluminum cleaning rod, with a brass tip damaged the throat or chamber of my steel barrel, i'd be more worried about steel my barrel was made of!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    It's more about what abrasive materials can embed in the softer brass and aluminum rods than any damage that the rod itself can do.

spencer5650

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    Bedford
    I did it to mine, very easy, just mark and center punch first. I don’t shoot mine near enough for it to make any difference, but I already had it apart and it was easy enough to do.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    . . .

The only legal ramification would be the potential loss of warranty. Really isn’t any possible way drilling this hole can cause a 10/22 to blow up. It’s simple as using the proper drill bit and placement to put a hole in the back of the receiver.

I just sent a 10/22 back to Ruger for warranty work. On the form they sent with the shipping label it said:

Ruger's Form said:
    Any aftermarket or altered Ruger part(s) found to inhibit the function or safety of the firearm will be returned to factory specification. Any altered Ruger part(s) will not be returned. You have my permission: ________*

So I called them back and specifically asked about the cleaning hole I had drilled. It would kind of be a bummer if they didn't return the receiver cause I drilled a hole it it. The woman I spoke to ask her supervisor about it and said that it was no problem.

I am waiting for my rifle to be shipped back, but supposedly the repairs are complete.

Drilling the hole is easy. I have done it to both of my 10/22s.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom