• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Here's an FN HP I picked up on gunbroker. It was an older "T" series that I thought was a good deal especially since it had the novak night sights already installed (2017 date code). I figured I could put a little work into it and see what happens. I did a good dehorn even though HP's don't usually need much, did a slight no-bite mod on the hammer, trigger job, stippled the front and backstraps and beveled the mag well, radiused and polished the trigger face/edges.

UFUJDX2.jpg

QIZ8MlV.jpg

EmbxS0N.jpg

zNfqBkg.jpg

eXzF3LQ.jpg

bTUOFFo.jpg

ejpgA27.jpg

IKj94YX.jpg

PzEnnMa.jpg

cUKI6t4.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That looks great. One question, how do you stipple a metal frame?

I've had a set of stippling punches I got years ago from Brownells but never used them as I have always done checkering. HP's if they are checkered are typically done in 40lpi but I didn't have the patience for that, as it is much more common for them to be stippled I gave it a try. Thanks to AllenM for giving me a small piece of round stock to test on. The technique is pretty simple and just requires the punches and a hammer. You just repeatedly tap the punch in an irregular pattern on your workpiece. You can get into a fairly quick rhythm where the punch is almost bouncing off the frame. The punch set I had have slightly different tips so it blends the work together a bit better. I tended to do little circular areas at a time and then blend them together. The only time you really need to slow down and be careful is around the edges. If I was to do another HP I would probably get a frame jig, I had to be pretty creative in bracing the frame in the vise they are not flat like 1911's. There was always a little flex which was likely taking away from the punches impact and I probably had to work a little harder than I needed to.

Last edited:

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Nice project!! I don’t have the patience for stippling, but i really like the looks/function.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Nice project!! I don’t have the patience for stippling, but i really like the looks/function.

It didn't take as long as I thought, with the stippling you can put some music on and kind of zone out and just keep working the frame, some use mechanical tools to speed it up but it was just on my own time I didn't mind.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I always like Hi Powers. Makes me want to add one to the safe. I would have to change the hammer though. Never liked the look of the spur hammers. That one is a shooter from the looks of the Target. Nice work.

Top Bottom