Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

FN Hi-Power Project

Here's an FN HP I picked up on gunbroker. It was an older "T" series that I thought was a good deal especially since it had the novak night sights already installed (2017 date code). I figured I could put a little work into it and see what happens. I did a good dehorn even though HP's don't usually need much, did a slight no-bite mod on the hammer, trigger job, stippled the front and backstraps and beveled the mag well, radiused and polished the trigger face/edges.

User Info Menu

Looks great, congrats.

Marksman

User Info Menu

That looks Great! Congrats!

User Info Menu

Nice job! And obviously a fine shooter.
    Just call me lollipop.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Very nice job, thanks for sharing your handiwork!

User Info Menu

That looks great. One question, how do you stipple a metal frame?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T-DOGG View Post
    That looks great. One question, how do you stipple a metal frame?
    I've had a set of stippling punches I got years ago from Brownells but never used them as I have always done checkering. HP's if they are checkered are typically done in 40lpi but I didn't have the patience for that, as it is much more common for them to be stippled I gave it a try. Thanks to AllenM for giving me a small piece of round stock to test on. The technique is pretty simple and just requires the punches and a hammer. You just repeatedly tap the punch in an irregular pattern on your workpiece. You can get into a fairly quick rhythm where the punch is almost bouncing off the frame. The punch set I had have slightly different tips so it blends the work together a bit better. I tended to do little circular areas at a time and then blend them together. The only time you really need to slow down and be careful is around the edges. If I was to do another HP I would probably get a frame jig, I had to be pretty creative in bracing the frame in the vise they are not flat like 1911's. There was always a little flex which was likely taking away from the punches impact and I probably had to work a little harder than I needed to.
    Last edited by drillsgt; 1 Week Ago at 06:56.

User Info Menu

Interesting. You are obviously a patient person.

User Info Menu

Nice project!! I donít have the patience for stippling, but i really like the looks/function.
    07/02 Manufacturer FFL/SOT
    Full Custom 1911 and 2011 Competition and Defensive pistols
    Class III Manufacturing, Gunsmithing and NFA Transfers
    Cerakote Application

User Info Menu

Very nice work.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast