• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have a Ruger 22/45 with a bull barrel I'd like threaded and the front sight set back (since it would need to be moved). Not being able to put my Q El Camino on it just seems like a waste.

I sent out an email to the only smith I know in the area of NW part of the state and didn't hear back... he specializes in precision rifles, so I assume he isn't interested.

I know AllenM in the central part of the state does great work, but is there anyone in the NW that can do it where I could just drop it off and pick it up?

I'd just get a Volquartsen upper for it... but in three months I'd buy a new grip assembly for it, end up with two guns, and be back where I started. :laugh:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can’t help on the gunsmith part.

For the cost of having it threaded and the sight moved, you won’t be far from a new Tactical Solutions upper. Another option is pick up a 22/45 Lite upper, Wirthwein usually has them in stock. The Lite upper may be cheaper than having the barrel threaded.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I can’t help on the gunsmith part.

For the cost of having it threaded and the sight moved, you won’t be far from a new Tactical Solutions upper. Another option is pick up a 22/45 Lite upper, Wirthwein usually has them in stock. The Lite upper may be cheaper than having the barrel threaded.

Actually, TacSol is what I meant to say in my original post, not Volquartsen.

I'll look into the Lite upper, but I really don't want two uppers because they'll end up two handguns and I will still want them both threaded.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Actually, TacSol is what I meant to say in my original post, not Volquartsen.

I'll look into the Lite upper, but I really don't want two uppers because they'll end up two handguns and I will still want them both threaded.

I had a similar conundrum that I solved by selling the extra uppers. Any new uppers I purchase will be for the MkIV since swapping them is quick.

Or buy an entire lite model and then have the bull barrel cut way back and then threaded.

Ot sell the one you have and pick up a threaded MkIV. This may end up having a similar out of pocket cost, depending on the model you pick.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Ot sell the one you have and pick up a threaded MkIV. This may end up having a similar out of pocket cost, depending on the model you pick.

This might be an option.

Now that I've looked at the range of MKIV handguns I don't really see anything that appeals to me. There is no blued bull barrel with threads. I really don't care for the Lite models that much (unless they make one without all the cut outs in the aluminum barrel I just don't see).

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    . Any new uppers I purchase will be for the MkIV since swapping them is quick.

I wish I had mk4's ive got 1-mark1, one mark2 22/45 and 2-mk3 22/45's and one paclite upper, when I got the paclite, it would mount on one 22/45 frame sloppy loose, and really really tight on the other!, and on the sloppy loose frame it'd jam like crazy! but that's the one with all volquartsen parts in it! (1.5# trigger)

I called tac sol, and talked to colt (I hear he's left the company), and he told me how to fix it, or I could send it to them and they'd do it, since it involved hitting it with a hammer, I was glad to send it to them and let them do it! (it's a custom matte blue! I showed you pics when you stopped in the shop), it was gone about a week, and it shoots like a dream now!

I can pop it on and off in no time, but still not as easy as a mk4 will!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wish I had mk4's ive got 1-mark1, one mark2 22/45 and 2-mk3 22/45's and one paclite upper, when I got the paclite, it would mount on one 22/45 frame sloppy loose, and really really tight on the other!, and on the sloppy loose frame it'd jam like crazy! but that's the one with all volquartsen parts in it! (1.5# trigger)

I called tac sol, and talked to colt (I hear he's left the company), and he told me how to fix it, or I could send it to them and they'd do it, since it involved hitting it with a hammer, I was glad to send it to them and let them do it! (it's a custom matte blue! I showed you pics when you stopped in the shop), it was gone about a week, and it shoots like a dream now!

I can pop it on and off in no time, but still not as easy as a mk4 will!

I’m 50/50 on my MkIV. It’s a Competition model and shoot great, but the new steel frame is larger and heavier than the MKIII steel frame. The MKIII frame is still my favorite, but the quick swap ability of the MKIV will be nice when I pick up some more uppers for it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    ZR Tactical threaded mine for a lot less than a tacsol barrel. He's in Noblesville which isn't NWI, but it's another option.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    the only gunsmith I know of in NWI didn't seem to be interested in doing much of anything when I talked to him. the couple of phone calls I heard him answer kinda hinted to me that he didn't work very fast either...

:cheers:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Eons ago, I bought a black matte PacLite upper for a Mk II 22/45. One of the best firearms-related investments I've ever made. One of the other good investments was a Majestic Arms speed-strip kit for it.

The 6" stainless upper that came with the gun hasn't been touched since I installed the PacLite. I honestly have no desire to reinstall it and shoot it, either.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    He was my first thought. I was just hoping to go somewhere so I didn't have to ship the Ruger.

just an fyi, you can ship it to him, and he can ship it back to you! (he cant ship it to anybody else, but he can ship it back to you!) as long as he'll do it!

Top Bottom