• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    I hope this is the right section for this.

I would like to hear how you are storing and organizing all your cleaning / maintenance stuff. Tackle box? tote? Ammo can?

Right now I have all my stuff in a Plano ammo box I got at Cabelas, it works great but I have outgrown it. I like to be able to store my cleaners right side up and not on their sides where they are prone to leaking. I would be nice to better organize my bore brushes, maybe a tackle box type setup?

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, and what you all are currently using that works for you would be appreciated.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Mine are all in a fairly large Stackon toolbox (that, sadly, they don't make anymore). 3 big drawers, big open top to put things in, etc. I can toss about about 10-20 full sized rifle and pistol mags in it too, making it ideal to just toss in the back of the truck, get where I'm going, and the fun begins. Bore snakes, solvents, oils, patches, etc, etc are all in there along with a few tools. It's nice having it all in one place and easy to move.

What I've never found a good solution for is my carbon fiber cleaning rods. I bought super long ones (because of course I did) so they're kind of a pain to deal with. I keep them in their original packaging and just lean them in a corner.

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    Good stuff, thanks.
    One of my concerns is all my solvent and oil containers, I really don't want to lay them on their side for fear of them leaking all over.

How you all deal with the solvents and lubes?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Good stuff, thanks.
    One of my concerns is all my solvent and oil containers, I really don't want to lay them on their side for fear of them leaking all over.

In mine, since it has a deep top, I stack them all tightly so everything is upright. You can also achieve the same thing by stuffing some towels in there to hold them up. That's also the number 1 reason I didn't want a tackle box. The bottom isn't deep enough to achieve that result in most of them. Plus, I've one too many times picked up a tackle box I thought was latched...

I do think I have a MONSTER bottle of Hoppes in there and I just put it in a gallon ziploc for added security since its on its side. If it was leaking, I'd smell it. To that point, I probably should just transfer a reasonable amount into a smaller bottle to keep in there since I not servicing a battalion of anything crew served... yet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good stuff, thanks.

They are all on the shelf above the gun work bench. All of them.

All the solvents are in arms reach. This pic is before i put the cover on the new work surface and put the tools in place.

D0V1rPz.jpg

All the specialty tools etc are in the Kennedy machinist box in the pic. Larger items are on the bench to the left.

fk19OEA.jpg

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I use the big file folders containers. They shut tight and hold a lot of stuff. I have one for liquids (they sit up right) and the other for materials (patches, jags, brushes, etc.).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    on shelves near my "work bench" in my back garage.

Or, as they're generally found, laying all over my work bench and in the way of whatever it is I'm working on.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've used a bag that I got at Goodwill years ago that works perfectly. I later found out it was a makeup bag. Oh, well. I'll get pics of it later but has pockets to hold bottles upright so they don't leak, slots for small tools, and several zippered pouches for different sized bore snakes.

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    Years ago I found a tool bag at a local lumber yard on clearance that worked very well. Had one of those big bottles of oil spill inside recently so Now im on the hunt for something new as well!

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    I went over to Cabelas today to take a look at tackle boxes and any other options they may have. They didn't really have any tackle boxes that interested me but I saw this, it has 2 removable dividers in the bottom also:
    31801666-31801666-image-31801666.jpg

The price was $43.00 but I wasn't sure I wanted it and I wanted to get some compartment boxes that would fit so I didn't buy it, was going to think about it.
    I got home and started googling and found it for $23.00 at Grainger! AND I marked it as pick up locally as they are only about 5 miles from my house and they will have it tomorrow after 8:00 a.m. with no shipping costs.
    I also order a few different compartment boxes to small tools, jags, and brushes.

I'll update after I get a chance to get my stuff moved over to it. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Being very tight on space in the apartment, I store everything between a tool bag and my nightstand in that also doubles as a workbench when I need something sturdier to work on than my cheap desk. All chemicals are stored on the top shelf of my gun cabinet to keep the little ones safe.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I hope this is the right section for this.

I would like to hear how you are storing and organizing all your cleaning / maintenance stuff. Tackle box? tote? Ammo can?

Right now I have all my stuff in a Plano ammo box I got at Cabelas, it works great but I have outgrown it. I like to be able to store my cleaners right side up and not on their sides where they are prone to leaking. I would be nice to better organize my bore brushes, maybe a tackle box type setup?

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, and what you all are currently using that works for you would be appreciated.
    Pretty much use very few cleaners. This works great on everything. Other cigar box is for patches and such. Tools are a simple wooden tool box. 2BC2DC0C-EC5A-4AED-8082-744F7EE42320.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I use a plastic tool box. The one I use has a partial width removable tray and a couple of small removable boxes on the lid. The bottom portion opposite the removable tray is deep enough to hold solvent and lube bottles and cans upright. Under the tray go bags of patches and rags. In the tray are a small screwdriver with changeable tips, bore guides, and assorted other tools. In the small boxes on the lid are bore brushes, jags, and mops. They fit perfectly in there. Cleaning rods are in PVC pipe with one cap just slid on.

Top Bottom