• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I have an old dbl-barrelled SxS shotgun (Rossi Overland) that prevents the right hammer from cocking when the barrel-release lever is pressed to the right side to open the barrels. Not a big deal for many, by my Cowboy Action shooters say this should be fixed by bending the barrel release lever. I just located a spare lever to play with, but don't know the best approach on how to do this. Obviously, I don't want to break the lever - but it's a spare, so not a huge deal. It seems to be made of cast metal of some sort, and relatively soft (I filed some rough spots off very easily). Should I fashion a mandrel and take a hammer to it (gently!)? Fire up the torch and get it bright red first? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    After 3 weeks of all of the hints and suggestions :) I went ahead and did it. Heated the release lever to bright red-hot with the torch, and slowly bent the lever to the desired position. Piece of cake!

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    After 3 weeks of all of the hints and suggestions :) I went ahead and did it. Heated the release lever to bright red-hot with the torch, and slowly bent the lever to the desired position. Piece of cake!

Amazing how much easier it is to bend metal once it gets red hot

Top Bottom