• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Guys I picked up an old Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum on the cheap side. Good working order fires fine accuracy is good.

The problem is the guy I got it from let it rust on the last 5-6" of the barrel. He then painted it with high heat black sparkling stove paint, and it looks horrible. How do I strip this off so I can reblue the whole revolver?

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    It looks horrible. Still haven't found the time to do it. It's on the back burner right now. Need to get supplies to actually do it and the time.
    Well the good thing is with the stove paint the burner won’t harm the finish any more than it already is.

might get hot tho

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    M.E.K.= Methyl Ethyl Ketone
    It is a very strong solvent and works very well for most paints.

Please only use in VERY well ventilated areas, and keep the stuff off of your skin, and especially out of your eyes.
    Too much exposure to skin will result in a chemical burn much like that which gasoline produces, but M.E.K. will do it in less than half the time of gas.
    It will strip every last bit of oils out of your skin.

I've used M.E.K. many times in the past, and will again, but PLEASE be careful with it.
    It is also highly flammable.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    M.E.K.= Methyl Ethyl Ketone
    It is a very strong solvent and works very well for most paints.

Please only use in VERY well ventilated areas, and keep the stuff off of your skin, and especially out of your eyes.
    Too much exposure to skin will result in a chemical burn much like that which gasoline produces, but M.E.K. will do it in less than half the time of gas.
    It will strip every last bit of oils out of your skin.

I've used M.E.K. many times in the past, and will again, but PLEASE be careful with it.
    It is also highly flammable.
    Your warnings are well founded. Nasty stuff and the flash point is 20 degrees. Commonly sold as PCV pipe cleaner.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well guys now that I have some down time I've decided to take on this project I've put on the back burner. I'll get some before and after and possibly some in-between pictures.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Pretty much every spray paint I've ever used is hot garbage next to the can of the cheapest brake cleaner I can find. MEK will dissolve just about anything, but that's kinda the last resort.

Looking forward to following the project. :)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Top Bottom