• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Re-Blueing might not be the proper term, re-blackening maybe?

Anywho, re-fitting my AR line-up this year. Have very old Armalite upper (if anyone remembers this was M15) which I had on training carbine and I ran it hard and put up wet. Weapon has been bounced off shoot house walls, spent a bunch of time in the dirt, mud and gravel. It has plenty of nicks as you can tell from this photo (at FA).

72388947_10220464573509991_3206750753607647232_o.jpg

What is the optimal way to address this? Magic marker? Re-blueing? Paint pen?

What say you and why? TIA.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sharpie is what I use.

If you were only a little more tactical, with a beard and some tats, you could just go over it with a file and sandpaper to call it "battle worn." :):

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sharpie is what I use.

If you were only a little more tactical, with a beard and some tats, you could just go over it with a file and sandpaper to call it "battle worn." :):

No beard, no tats, and no man bun (which is odd because I have piston ARs yet no man bun).

Sharpie works, but is there optimal way? Just seeking wisdom.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Birchwood-Casey makes an aluminum "dye" that works pretty decent on 7075 aluminum. It's not going to look like new again, but it will subdue the "road hard and put away wet look".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just me doing dumb stuff, sucking cover, crowding corners, projecting through windows when I should not, etc. Process of learning and all that.

I was teasing you earlier, my friend. :)

That is very solid information about the virtues of training. There are a fair amount of folks out there with defensive rifles that really don't know how to use them effectively.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was teasing you earlier, my friend. :)

That is very solid information about the virtues of training. There are a fair amount of folks out there with defensive rifles that really don't know how to use them effectively.

It is why I advocate buying multiple copies of the guns you have. I have used up/broken several guns in training, including the one featured in this thread (I rebuilt it so you can bring them back from the dead but best to have a spare or 2). Fighting eats guns like Kirk eats sushi, PACE and all that.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I haven't had good luck with the pens. I wonder if it's because the Aluminum oxidizes?

Kirk, if it doesn't work the 1st time, try to polish a spot to expose some non-oxized metal. I'd be interested in hearing how it does on a fresh wound.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The nasty stuff (some kind of acid?) BC makes (Aluminum Black) needs a fresh wound to work properly. Numerous reviews all over the Internet say it works better on fresh scratches then older, oxidized bare aluminum.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Re-Blueing might not be the proper term, re-blackening maybe?

Anywho, re-fitting my AR line-up this year. Have very old Armalite upper (if anyone remembers this was M15) which I had on training carbine and I ran it hard and put up wet. Weapon has been bounced off shoot house walls, spent a bunch of time in the dirt, mud and gravel. It has plenty of nicks as you can tell from this photo (at FA).

72388947_10220464573509991_3206750753607647232_o.jpg

What is the optimal way to address this? Magic marker? Re-blueing? Paint pen?

What say you and why? TIA.

Well. I would leave it the way it is if you are planning on keeping it. They are memories and your own personal love marks!

Kind of like when you leave the hand print on your wife's......(Sorry forgot what web site I was on....LOL)

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've used the Birchwood Casey "Super Black" on both an AR, and aluminum rims on a vehicle before.

I know it held up on the rims, after at least 6 months through all sorts of weather the spots that were coated never showed again.

Got rid of the AR so not sure how well that did.

As with painting or coating most things preparation is key, clean the darn thing before you apply it. They make a product to clean the part before application. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1556172387

I believe I used auto brake cleaner on the wheel, same concept, cleans grease/dirt and evaporates.

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    I had a friend that was gifted a beautiful Weatherby he could'nt stand hunting with it because he was afraid of scratching it so out of his frustration he sanded sanded the pretty glossy finish on it and just gave it a matt oil finish so he would not have to worry about it anyone.

Top Bottom