• Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    Weird Bore Problem.

I just bought a Western Auto Revelation 150M (a Marlin Model 49) circa 1969. It appeared to be in ok shape, I got a pretty good deal on it and I bought it primarily as a project to work on my stock refinishing and aluminum receiver scratch repair or re-paint skills. Before investing too much time in it I tore it down to check out mechanicals and ran into an issue with the bore that I have never seen before. I don’t have a borescope so I am wondering if anyone has run across what I will try to describe and has any thoughts or advice on it. I tried taking pictures but I can’t get anything to show up.

[FONT=&amp]When I looked at the bore before buying it looked good except for a hard to describe area about half way down the bore that looked like a tiny shiny star that went all the way around the diameter of the bore. It appeared to be very small and not very long. When I cleaned the bore it felt like about 1/2 way through the brush actually loosened up for about an inch or two and then got tight again as I pushed it through. Cleaning didn’t make any difference in what I saw or felt so I tried polishing it with J-B paste on VFG felt polishing slugs. When I did this the sensation of getting looser and then tighter again was even more pronounced. Continued polishing did nothing to change the feel or appearance. Curious if anyone has any thoughts on what this might be?[/FONT]

Last edited:

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I agree with snorko, probably bulged barrel. You could shoot it and if it functions correctly and the accuracy is acceptable to you then move forward. Other option is to have it re-barreled.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a weird feeling round in a 10/22 light right before packing up for the day. My next time at the range it was holding a nice pattern at 25 yards, for a smooth bore shotgun...
    I had the same feeling of loosening at a certain point in the barrel and could see a shadow while looking down the bore.
    I got a Kidd barrel for it and it is back to driving tacks

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    Thanks to you all. I never would have thought you could have barrel bulge with a .22LR but have confirmed it. I can actually measure the bulge from the outside and I can also see it is there with a precision straight edge. I am planning on putting it back together to see how it shoots but wanted to get your opinions on if it might be unsafe.
    Thanks again.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Someone once sold me a .36 flintlock with a bulge in the bore. No way it could be detected on the exterior even mic'ing it across the flats. Got it rebored to .46 caliber to use revolver ball and my groups lived happily ever after.

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    Put it back together and it seems to shoot fine. About a 3" group at 75' which is about as good as these old eyes can do with iron sights. I guess now I'll have to decide whether to go ahead with working on it or not. Not a valuable gun anyway and hate to put too much effort and money into something I can't sell when done. Don't think I can ever recover the cost of re-barrelling it. I may try to sell it (I will tell about the bulge) and look for something a little more worthy of the time and effort to restore. Thanks to everyone for their input.
    BTW: I'm surprised no one gave me a hard time about misspelling "weird" in the title but I'm sure I'll give everyone another opportunity in the future.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Just a thought but where is the bulge located at?

Can you cut it down to 16" and remove it?

If not can you cut it down to 16" and ream it out?

Maybe end up with 12"-14" of good bore then over reamed to not affect accuracy?

Just a thought.

Top Bottom