New AR upper; hard to eject unspent rounds.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Got a new inexpensive upper for plinking. Did a basic function test and it was good.

However I noticed when I was done, it was VERY difficult to eject that unspent round. (only 10 rounds sent downrange) to the point on the range I just sent that last round and packed it up because I was done anyway.

Playing with it at home, its still VERY hard to eject a live round. More lube? Need to scrub the chamber a bit? Just fire a bunch more to loosen it up?

Any suggestions? Its factory ammo, so it shouldnt be an out of spec ammo issue.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Full auto ought to loosen that up. Just flip the switch as all Democrats know we all have assault weapons. <- implied purple here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Damn. mine is defective. I can't swing the giggle switch the other direction. Guess I need to call customer service monday, huh? :):

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Don’t overlook the charging handle. Make sure the latch releases cleanly from the upper receiver and the handle moves freely without the bolt carrier group installed. Make sure there are no burrs where the CH “hook” interfaces with the upper receiver (check both parts).

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    Could be misaligned locking lugs may loosen up with ware but if its that is should go back and be replaced. Is it one of those NIB bolt carrier groups. I have had issue with some of them just being really tight and hard to break in. Take a look at gas tube alignment make sure it slides in and out really smooth and not binding. I had issues with a factory AA and it was actually a gas key that was machined incorrectly and binding with the tube although that was probably a 1 in a million flaw but after a few phone calls asking if I cleaned and oiled duh yes I did not that it had enough rounds through it to be an issue.

Also sometimes the gas tube is just installed where it is not perfectly straight through the gas port and nut so which causes a slight bend inside the receiver that binds on the gas Key old lacquer coated wolf ammo which I don't think is sold anymore but maybe your shooting the old stuff.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if your upper came with a bolt, but I'm going to blame the bolt and hopefully they will replace it for you. I'm going to leave this here because this guy in the video explains it pretty good.

[video=youtube_share;0hrCBA6Q1a8]https://youtu.be/0hrCBA6Q1a8[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes, complete kit. It moves freely empty. I am notorious for running ARs too dry. And it was a quick range trip so I didnt have much time to troubleshoot.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Jim at JM Gunsmithing recommends I soak the bolt in motor oil, literally brush it on.

Being new and clean, I would think it should release out of the package.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    And never use the cheap steel case ammo. When the barrel gets hot, it will expand the case and not extract it from the barrel. This will ruin all kinds of stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    had this issue with the last "Cheap" (I really hate that word) AR I pieced together. Same issue.
    I took a slightly larger than the camber rifle bore rush (exact size escapes me it has been a few years) put it on a rod, chucked it up an a battery drill, dipped the brush in good old Hoppes #9 and went after the chamber with it. Kept the brush wet wit hoppes.
    Cleaned the thing up and that issue was gone. Needles to say that "Cheap" rifle soon found a new home.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    had this issue with the last "Cheap" (I really hate that word) AR I pieced together. Same issue.
    I took a slightly larger than the camber rifle bore rush (exact size escapes me it has been a few years) put it on a rod, chucked it up an a battery drill, dipped the brush in good old Hoppes #9 and went after the chamber with it. Kept the brush wet wit hoppes.
    Cleaned the thing up and that issue was gone. Needles to say that "Cheap" rifle soon found a new home.

I had the same thought with some flitz to polish the crap out of it.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I was assuming it wouldn't release from the extractor. Trying to extract a heat swelled steel case can bur the barrel throat.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had the same thought with some flitz to polish the crap out of it.

Just clean it up real well. Look in before and after and you will be surprised at the difference. Just a brass brush tight to fit in the chamber and some good-ole #9. Also do a drop check. Open the rifle. Remove the bolt and drop a round in the chamber. Give it a push with your thumb and see if it sticks.

Injess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2019
    Columbus
    Flex hone makes chamber hones specifically for honing the chamber of firearms. But if it’s a .223 chamber and you’re firing 5.56 NATO through it, then that’s your problem. Rumor has it that there are cheap AR barrel manufacturers that claim their barrels have 5.56 chambers but they’re actually.223 rem chambers. If you haven’t already, try just shooting 223 ammo through it and see what happens, if I’m understanding your problem correctly, if it’s just sticky with loaded Unfired ammo being cycled through it then I’d just hone it. Hope this information helps you. 8FD9CF12-81AC-43A9-AA9A-0A3CA9543DA8.jpg

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I've been thinking about this a day or so. Take one of your loaded rounds. Paint the round bullet tip to extractor groove with a sharpie. Completely blacked. Drop it in the chamber to full depth. When you remove it look for a smear that goes completely around the case. Just guessing, I'd say you have a short throat, and will see where the bullet is marked by the rifling. If it comes out relatively unscratched, then you have a bolt problem. (Yes, I know you can black the case with a candle. I get real nervous heating loaded rounds with open flame.)

Top Bottom