Anyone with experience swapping barrels on a savage rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got an old heavy barreled 110fp in 30-06 that I bought back in '08. I've been kicking around the idea of swapping out the barrel. I've never done it and I don't know what the process looks like. I also don't know who all makes a good replacement barrel. If I go through with this, I'd like it to get into the range of silly accurate, like sub 1/2" at 100 yards. Beyond that I don't think I care much. Any suggestions?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Yup, swapped a bunch of them. There's a number of videos on Youtube that show the process.

You need, at minimum:

Replacement barrel
    Barrel nut wrench
    Bench vise
    Hardwood vise blocks and powered brown sugar (works as resin for holding barrel in blocks)
    Dead blow hammer
    Go-Gauge for replacement barrel chambering
    Scotch-brand clear tape

All kinds of good barrels out there, I'm a big fan of Criterion prefits through Northland Shooters Supply. Sub-1/2" @ 100yd is a tall ask, as it not only requires the barrel to be good but the system to be assembled properly, the barreled action placed into the stock/chassis properly, the barrel fed ammunition and/or reloads it prefers, and the rifle driver to be capable.

You can run any short action, standard bolt face chambering through a 110 long action magazine; my very first build was a 260 on a 110 that started life as a 270.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    If this is the only one you plan on doing, it is an expensive swap to DIY, unless you have the necessary tools, etc.

Also, if you are going to go that far to do it, and want a tack driver, why not go ahead and blueprint the action? You're already there, might as well.

I may have a biased opinion, but I tend to believe spending money with a competent gunsmith to do something such as this, is worth the money, and will be cheaper in the long run.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If this is the only one you plan on doing, it is an expensive swap to DIY, unless you have the necessary tools, etc.

Also, if you are going to go that far to do it, and want a tack driver, why not go ahead and blueprint the action? You're already there, might as well.

I may have a biased opinion, but I tend to believe spending money with a competent gunsmith to do something such as this, is worth the money, and will be cheaper in the long run.

Like a lot of things I told myself I was only going to do once, it's pretty likely that it'll happen again and again.

Auto94

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2019
    North Vernon
    it is not hard to do you just need to make sure you have the write tools and do not forget to put on the recoil lug. I real like shilen prefit barrels

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have had AllenM rebarrel a savage to a 458 SOCOM and he did a great job. If you don’t want to tackle it, he should be able to.

Top Bottom