Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOT BLUING

Plinker

User Info Menu

HOT BLUING

Has anyone here tried hot bluing? I'm really close to having a setup to do it but would like to pick some brains on the subject.

Expert

User Info Menu

You need to talk to someone who does it before you decide to "jump in".

The price of the salts will usually out weigh any "do it yourself" savings you might be thinking about.

EPA inspections, temperature sensitivity, time, space, heat source...

Where are you located? I have a guy in the southern part of the state that will give you one of "those" looks just for asking.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

Plinker

User Info Menu

I'm in Rush Co. out East.

I've been reading up on it, and it does seem like it could be difficult if you don't pay attention to everything.

Expert

User Info Menu

It is half art and half chemical reaction with a lot of luck spread in for flavor. The guy I know is the southern part of the state.

Getting the salts is difficult and expensive, disposing of the salts is difficult and expensive.

The last I heard there is an annual inspection even if you are not using the tanks. Paperwork and back flips out the old smitty pipe.

I advise you to get to know someone who does bluing and hang out with them and learn that what they charge is very little profit and the one doing the bluing will look like "the guy behind the curtain" in the Wizard of Oz...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT153 View Post
    Has anyone here tried hot bluing? I'm really close to having a setup to do it but would like to pick some brains on the subject.
    I have some experience hot bluing as part of a gunsmithing curriculum at Yavapai college. As far as setup, i could prolly answer some basic questions, but everything such as tanks and heating elements were already set up for us....maybe i can answer your questions?

Plinker

User Info Menu

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod1066.aspx
    heres a link to bluing salts, from brownells...i like their instructions they provide with most chemical solutions. Safety is paramount, wear PPU and keep some vinegar handy

User Info Menu

I used to work with a guy that did hot blueing. He died of cancer. I was told it's a common side effect of blueing.
    Just hearsay. It's worth looking into.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Holy crap!! Ok, I will.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Ok thank you!

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo59 View Post
    It is half art and half chemical reaction with a lot of luck spread in for flavor. The guy I know is the southern part of the state.

Getting the salts is difficult and expensive, disposing of the salts is difficult and expensive.

The last I heard there is an annual inspection even if you are not using the tanks. Paperwork and back flips out the old smitty pipe.

I advise you to get to know someone who does bluing and hang out with them and learn that what they charge is very little profit and the one doing the bluing will look like "the guy behind the curtain" in the Wizard of Oz...

I happened to come across a guy here locally that use to do it a while back. Think I'm going to meet up with him and discuss it. Seemed like he knew what he was talking about.

I know he mentioned EPA so I need to do some more research. I may not be able to do it at all. May be more than I want to get into.

But I really appreciate the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast