• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    The Brownells screwdrivers have always seemed nice, though I haven't owned them, except specific screwdrivers and bits for S&W and Ruger revolvers. I have a cheap very basic MidwayUSA set that https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007360766?pid=297593 is so bad that I am convinced to not spend money on their big set of screwdrivers. I have an inexpensive Pachmayr set that seems to be pretty good and gets used a lot, especially the allen bits. I have owned Chapman screwdrivers https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1261179157?pid=510765 for years and have been very satisfied with the quality. I own 2 sets of Chapman and extra Chapman allen bits.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have a set of Wheeler Engineering drivers and they seem pretty good. A good variety of bits and two different drivers. My 30 year old Chapman small set is still working, just not enough bits in the set.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I've had the same set of Chapman handle and bits (set #8900) for over 25 years and never broke a bit. There are several bit/handle set sizes. I have a mid size set and they get me through any job just fine.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Grace wooden handled hollow ground screwdrivers. They also make them in Phillips and torx. I’ve had them for years and they are still beautiful and work great.

Last edited:

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I've had the same set of Chapman handle and bits (set #8900) for over 25 years and never broke a bit. There are several bit/handle set sizes. I have a mid size set and they get me through any job just fine.
    My Uncle got me the full Chapman set about a decade ago and they have been great for me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    I've used Chapman for years. But to be fair, I should preface that by stating that by me posting in a thread in the "Gunsmithing" area, that whatever a gunsmith is, if you turn around exactly 180 degrees from that point you will see me waving waaaayyy in the back.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    best screwdrivers?

Best Screwdrivers

j9I8KKL.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've had trouble with the Wheeler bits breaking, looking for something better.
    The bits are supposed to break rather than damage the screw is what I’ve always been told? Small Arms Repairer School said the same thing, I just always thought the Army bought junk bits? I like Grace and the Brownell sets.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The bits are supposed to break rather than damage the screw is what I’ve always been told? Small Arms Repairer School said the same thing, I just always thought the Army bought junk bits? I like Grace and the Brownell sets.

Not picking on you Vigilant as I have heard this many times and it makes no sense to me at all.

I'm thinking of damage to the screw as being one of three things, snapping the head off, letting the screwdriver slip out of the slot (or whatever) resulting in rounded off edges of the slot or using too narrow of a blade so that it displaces metal in the slot which is more unsightly than anything else.

All three methods of damage are user error and having an easily broken screwdriver would not prevent the second two. As to snapping the head off, having a screwdriver that is brittle enough to break before you could break the screw's head off would likely result in a scratch across the work piece (gun) and would limit each screwdriver to only working with a single diameter and thread pitch of screw...use it on a smaller screw and the screw breaks first, use it on a larger screw and the screwdriver breaks before the screw is properly torqued.

Proper fitting screwdrivers (hollow ground are helpful) and user experience/care are the keys to not damaging screws. Screwdrivers that are hard enough to "break before damaging the screw" or soft enough to twist/deform "before damaging the screw" sounds like something a shady salesman of cheaply made tools would come up with.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not picking on you Vigilant as I have heard this many times and it makes no sense to me at all.

I'm thinking of damage to the screw as being one of three things, snapping the head off, letting the screwdriver slip out of the slot (or whatever) resulting in rounded off edges of the slot or using too narrow of a blade so that it displaces metal in the slot which is more unsightly than anything else.

All three methods of damage are user error and having an easily broken screwdriver would not prevent the second two. As to snapping the head off, having a screwdriver that is brittle enough to break before you could break the screw's head off would likely result in a scratch across the work piece (gun) and would limit each screwdriver to only working with a single diameter and thread pitch of screw...use it on a smaller screw and the screw breaks first, use it on a larger screw and the screwdriver breaks before the screw is properly torqued.

Proper fitting screwdrivers (hollow ground are helpful) and user experience/care are the keys to not damaging screws. Screwdrivers that are hard enough to "break before damaging the screw" or soft enough to twist/deform "before damaging the screw" sounds like something a shady salesman of cheaply made tools would come up with.
    Just relaying What has been said, I still think the Army bought junk screwdriver bits.

Top Bottom