Thread: Springfield LW1911 ILS replacement

Plinker

User Info Menu

Springfield LW1911 ILS replacement

Apologies if this has been answered and I didn't catch it when I searched.

I have a full size Springfield Loaded LW1911 in .45ACP and I am going to replace the factory main spring housing with a non-ILS. The standard hammer spring is 23 lb and I was going to go with a 21 lb spring. Anybody else perform this modification and did you have to replace the recoil spring with a heavier spring for timing and so the slide doesn't slam back so hard? I was thinking of swapping the recoil spring with a heavier one anyway. My factory setup really slings the empty brass, like 20' away and it's a pain trying to find all of them. Plus I think it would take out some of the felt recoil and make it more pleasant to shoot.

Thanks,
    Scott

User Info Menu

A 23 to a 21 lb spring won't make any difference in recoil spring weight, no need to change it if you don't want to.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drillsgt View Post
    A 23 to a 21 lb spring won't make any difference in recoil spring weight, no need to change it if you don't want to.
    Yup.

If you really need to tune on the recoil speed you can work with the FP retainer.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon. AllenM's Avatar

User Info Menu

45 throwing brass 20 feet? How old is the recoil spring now and what weight is it? Unless you are shooting buffalo bore or similar that is pretty far for 45. At least it seems like it to me
    07 FFL / SOT 2

"Corn Pop was a bad dude" Biden

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Yup.

If you really need to tune on the recoil speed you can work with the FP retainer.
    EGW makes a very good flat bottom one.
    1911s are like Glocks except they are for grown-ups.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllenM View Post
    45 throwing brass 20 feet? How old is the recoil spring now and what weight is it? Unless you are shooting buffalo bore or similar that is pretty far for 45. At least it seems like it to me
    The gun has thrown the brass like that from day one when I bought it new around 8 years ago. I have probably 1k rounds through it, not a lot.

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon. AllenM's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sbatten View Post
    The gun has thrown the brass like that from day one when I bought it new around 8 years ago. I have probably 1k rounds through it, not a lot.
    That is not much. A square firing pin stop will slow the slide from coming out of battery for sure but I would not be afraid to test out a 18lb spring as well. An EGW firing pin stop is not a drop in item....well I guess they might make drop ins but I haven't used those yet.
    07 FFL / SOT 2

"Corn Pop was a bad dude" Biden