• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    Apologies if this has been answered and I didn't catch it when I searched.

I have a full size Springfield Loaded LW1911 in .45ACP and I am going to replace the factory main spring housing with a non-ILS. The standard hammer spring is 23 lb and I was going to go with a 21 lb spring. Anybody else perform this modification and did you have to replace the recoil spring with a heavier spring for timing and so the slide doesn't slam back so hard? I was thinking of swapping the recoil spring with a heavier one anyway. My factory setup really slings the empty brass, like 20' away and it's a pain trying to find all of them. Plus I think it would take out some of the felt recoil and make it more pleasant to shoot.

Thanks,
    Scott

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    45 throwing brass 20 feet? How old is the recoil spring now and what weight is it? Unless you are shooting buffalo bore or similar that is pretty far for 45. At least it seems like it to me

sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    45 throwing brass 20 feet? How old is the recoil spring now and what weight is it? Unless you are shooting buffalo bore or similar that is pretty far for 45. At least it seems like it to me
    The gun has thrown the brass like that from day one when I bought it new around 8 years ago. I have probably 1k rounds through it, not a lot.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    The gun has thrown the brass like that from day one when I bought it new around 8 years ago. I have probably 1k rounds through it, not a lot.

That is not much. A square firing pin stop will slow the slide from coming out of battery for sure but I would not be afraid to test out a 18lb spring as well. An EGW firing pin stop is not a drop in item....well I guess they might make drop ins but I haven't used those yet.

Top Bottom