Process for reaming and throating a chamber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey ingo smiths,

Im chasing a ghost trying to get my savage to shoot.

Would anyone be kind enough to explain the process of cutting a chamber and throating a barrel?

Are they done at the same time? Is there a "standard" for throat length if the customer doesnt send a dummy round or a spec?

Please and thank you
    Shred

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Most finish chamber reamers cut a SAAMI spec throat atthe same time as the chamber is cut. If a longer throat is desired, a throating reamer can be used to lengthen the throat for longer bullets

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I have the reamer print, but dont have a way of checking my chamber to the print.

Ive done the sharpie trick seating bullet in fired cases and im not getting the same measurements as the print.

In order to touch the lands i have to be much longer than magazine length....which is already pretty long.
    I will never be able to chase the lands, and i dont have enough case capacity to run a much longer and heavier bullet.

I dont know why a reputable manufacturer would cut a barrel like this, especially knowing that the user with be jambing bullet to fireform.

?
    Please and thank you
    Shred

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    It is an old style/flat back savage 110 with a shilen match barrel in 280 ackley improved.

I have never fired a factory round in it, but it will fit, function, and fireform nicely with 280 remington new brass.

Shred

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Figured it out sue to some good advice.

I stopped chasing the lands and loaded the bullet to have as much jump as i could get (.138) and we came up with and sd of 2 amd es of 6.

Shred

Top Bottom