• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I was sold a ban-era Colt 20" AR upper with an unthreaded barrel that the seller misrepresented as a standard A2 upper with a flash hider, and now I'm stuck with it. Is there anyone in Indiana who can thread it for a standard A2 flash hider?

Rhinestone Pete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    I will 3rd that. He cut and threaded my Rem 700 Police. No issues at all. He can pretty much do anything you need, he's worked on a few of my projects and this is a reminder I need to see him on another.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I would use AllenM. He hasn't done a barrel for me, so I don't know what he charges, but he custom built a 1911 for me and did a great job. ZR Tactical charged me $125 (if I'm remembering correctly) to cut and butcher the threads on my CZ Scorpion barrel. I will never use them again for anything.

sell33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Delaware County
    I would use AllenM. He hasn't done a barrel for me, so I don't know what he charges, but he custom built a 1911 for me and did a great job. ZR Tactical charged me $125 (if I'm remembering correctly) to cut and butcher the threads on my CZ Scorpion barrel. I will never use them again for anything.

Thanks for the heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If you bring me just a barrel and no disassembly required, its 80.00 to cut suppressor ready threads. For cut crown and thread a bare barrel it is 125.00

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    If you bring me just a barrel and no disassembly required, its 80.00 to cut suppressor ready threads. For cut crown and thread a bare barrel it is 125.00

If you pull the gas tube, is it possible to cut threads in an AR barrel by chucking it around the middle of the barrel and leaving the upper receiver attached? I haven't played with many lathes or mills.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If you pull the gas tube, is it possible to cut threads in an AR barrel by chucking it around the middle of the barrel and leaving the upper receiver attached? I haven't played with many lathes or mills.

No it would not work the way you suggest. The receiver would not fit in the lathe. That's not to say I can't cut threads without removing the receiver, I can.
    But i would not guarentee them to be suppressor safe.
    AR barrel are relatively easy to remove, it's not even worth the effort to thread assembled....unless there is some sort of proprietary barrel nut.

Its bolt and lever action guns that can be difficult.

Just a side note. If the barrel is 22" or longer then the receiver does not need to be removed. At least in my lathe that is.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Allen has done more barrels for me than I can remember. Cut/crown and thread to building custom brakes. I trust him in all things gun related. I have a lathe and a mill. He does my heavy lifting.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    This Scorpion fiasco happened over 3 years ago and he claimed the 1/2-36 thread was out of spec. He was asked to bring it back in so we could check or chase it if it was needed. He went into a rant about how he was an engineer and someone checked it... Claim was never substantiated and we were never allowed to fix let alone even see the alleged claim. Parrots this garbage every time someone mentions the company. We literally thread over 500 barrels a year and manufacturer tens of thousands of AR receivers.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This Scorpion fiasco happened over 3 years ago and he claimed the 1/2-36 thread was out of spec. He was asked to bring it back in so we could check or chase it if it was needed. He went into a rant about how he was an engineer and someone checked it... Claim was never substantiated and we were never allowed to fix let alone even see the alleged claim. Parrots this garage every time someone mentions the company. We literally thread over 500 barrels a year and manufacturer tens of thousands of AR receivers.

What are you referring to. If you are calling AllenM's shop a garage you and I need to have a sit down my friend. This is what I am seeing.
    1st...who are you. Clarify please so we all know.
    2nd...belittling an Ingo member in good standing and an advertiser is not something taken lightly.

Please clarify the above. If I am wrong I will apologize. If not, :dunno:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Read the threads above. Not AllenM at all. The guy above spews hate at my shop, ZRTS. PM me if you're still confused.

What are you referring to. If you are calling AllenM's shop a garage you and I need to have a sit down my friend. This is what I am seeing.
    2nd...belittling an Ingo member in good standing and an advertiser is not something taken lightly.

Sling10mm is who he is referring to.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

This Scorpion fiasco happened over 3 years ago and he claimed the 1/2-36 thread was out of spec. He was asked to bring it back in so we could check or chase it if it was needed. He went into a rant about how he was an engineer and someone checked it... Claim was never substantiated and we were never allowed to fix let alone even see the alleged claim. Parrots this garage every time someone mentions the company. We literally thread over 500 barrels a year and manufacturer tens of thousands of AR receivers.

Clarification. Zach meant GARBAGE not garage. Seems Sling10mm is the one guilty of belittling an INGO member.

ZRTS has threaded my barrels. AllenM has threaded my barrel. Both do a great job. I'll recommend either depending on distance.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Clarification. Zach meant GARBAGE not garage. Seems Sling10mm is the one guilty of belittling an INGO member.

ZRTS has threaded my barrels. AllenM has threaded my barrel. Both do a great job. I'll recommend either depending on distance.

Same

Top Bottom