• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    This is coming up in Late April or early May and I thought there may be some INGO members that would like to participate. I have noting to do with the class but am just sharing the info.
    If you don't now who Bruce Piatt is, google his name. He is a legit competitive shooter and gun builder.

Contact him directly for more info but here is what I have on the class. His website does not list the class but I contacted him prior to posting this to confirm it is happening.

Custom 1911 Build Class
    with Bruce Piatt
    Bruce Piatt is a world class competitive shooter and firearms instructor with over 30 years of experience.
    His accomplishments in the handgun field is staggering, winning multiple world and national championships, while at the
    same time holding down a full-time police officer’s position.

Bruce uses Caspian 1911’s exclusively in competition and has mastered every aspect of the platform, building his own match pistols by hand. Retired from Law Enforcement in 2015,
    Bruce is ready to share his 1911 passion and knowledge with you.

A student in a Bruce Piatt Custom 1911 Build Class will begin the week with a Caspian frame & slide, a box of parts and will leave with more than just a functioning pistol.

The student will learn how to hand fit their frame and slide, tune and fit each part to insure optimum reliability.
    At the same time, they will gain an understanding of how and why each part functions and interacts with each other, thus enabling them to diagnose malfunction issues should they arise.
    The student’s Custom 1911 will be a source of pride for years to come.

Bruce’s students can take advantage of his relationships with his sponsors and will be eligible for substantial discounts for this class at Caspian Arms Ltd.
    and H&M Blacknitride+TM, among others in the industry.

COURSE REQUIREMENTS:

• Students are responsible for the cost of all gun parts
    • Students are responsible for the cost of hand tools, (list provided)
    • Students are responsible for the cost of 50 rounds (min.) factory ammunition for test-fire

LOGISTICS:

Course Length: 5-day course (8+ hour days)
    Class Size: Limited to 8 Students
    Course Costs: $1500 for instruction $500 deposit to hold your seat
    Travel/Lodging/Meals: student’s responsibility
    Contact Bruce to find a class in your area.

Bruce Piatt Training Concepts, LLC.

Bruce Piatt ? Official Website
    bruce@brucepiatt.com 5/2019
    Reserve Your Space Now !!

Bruce Piatt Training Concepts, LLC.
    7 Magnolia Avenue 201-819-2694 Mobile
    Montvale, NJ 07645-1310 201-307-9676 Home
    U.S.A. Bruce@BrucePiatt.com

Custom 1911 Build Class Overview

The student is responsible to buy all gun parts prior to the class.
    They must be an unaltered Caspian single stack frame and slide, caliber, 9mm, 38 super, 10mm/.40 or .45 only.
    Unaltered meaning you can't try to build it by yourself, get stuck and then come to the class with something that you already worked on. Commander, 5" or 6"..... no Officer's Model, no compensators.

All the other parts (triggers, sights, etc.) are your choice however students get a 20% discount off retail at Caspian Arms once registered for this class, so it makes sense to take advantage of that.
    They have several sight choices but only one trigger, which is a fairly long reach so take that into consideration when making your selection.

I will provide a parts list so that you are sure you have everything you need. How fancy you design your gun is only limited by our wallet. Caspian Arms offers so many options like 20-25-30 lpi checkering, Diamond Plate, Snake Skin, flat top, custom serial numbers & engravings, integral magwell, light rails... the list goes on.
    You can go to www.caspianarms.com to see them all, price them out and make your decisions before ordering. I have arranged a student discount of 1/2 price at H&M Blacknitride metal finish when we are done.
    Unlike other classes of this nature, choose from 9mm, .38 Super - .38 SuperComp, 40/10mm, or .45 ACP.
    We can discuss barrel brands when we talk on the phone prior to ordering your parts but I have arranged a discount at KKM Barrels as well. They will also do a barrel / bushing combo for the class that is not listed on their website.
    The students have to bring some hand tools and supplies. A Dremel tool (110v not battery powered), files, emery cloth-sand paper assortment, brass/plastic hammer, pin punches and a few others. A small (4-5") vice on a Black & Decker workmate is a great thing to have, but depending on the host, vices may be on-site.

Quality files will show in your quality of work. The tool list is specific on Swiss Cut Pillar files. If you haven’t used a file much, get them and practice on a piece of scrap steel.
    Most tools are things you should have in your toolbox anyway. The gunsmith specific tools such as barrel lug cutters and sear jigs are optional. If you plan on only building this one gun, you can use mine but if you intend on building more, you should buy your own. Once a student learns how to do a trigger job, they usually will do more, so the trigger jig and stones are a good investment.

The class is 5 days long. Most days run 10+ hours by the choice of the students. On the fourth or fifth day your guns will be together and shooting for the first time. I will show you how to diagnose issues using marks on the gun, marks on the brass, closely watching the cycling process and address each issue so the gun runs at peak performance.
    There is a reason my match guns never fail me... every part is tuned and fitted by hand. This won’t be like a production gun that comes out of a box. Once your gun is working, we address the cosmetics. I show you how to blend the lines, polish the sharp corners and give you options on how you want your gun to look.
    Whether you want a “Display Gun” where you want a high polish or a “Go-To Carry Gun” where you want no sharp corners and a dark dull subdued finish, it's all up to you. This cosmetic work is done after graduation as this is something you don’t want to rush.
    Once you have submitted a $500 deposit, the student will be supplied with a tool list, parts list and contact information for the host. The host will supply information specific to the host location regarding travel, meals, etc. All travel, lodging and meal expenses are the responsibility of the students.
    Caspian Arms and KKM Barrels will also be notified of your enrollment and your discount will be activated. Average delivery time on a custom parts order is 2 months to 10 weeks, so do not delay on getting this done.
    Thank you for your interest and I hope to see you in the class.
    Bruce Piatt

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    It is a bit of money, but it is right on par with other professionals that offer a similar class

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Maybe but it is a school. With a hand built 1911 on the back side. $3K is about an average cost for a hand built 1911 that is not off the charts.
    So in the end if that is your goal then it is really pretty fair.

Not meaning to imply that it's not worth the cost. Just saying for the average guy that just plans to build one pistol, that is a lot of time and coin. I do understand the accomplishment of building the pistol yourself and kudos to those that do it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not meaning to imply that it's not worth the cost. Just saying for the average guy that just plans to build one pistol, that is a lot of time and coin. I do understand the accomplishment of building the pistol yourself and kudos to those that do it.

I understand completely. There are a handful of folks that post up they want to get into gunsmithing. $3K is not that big a leap to get into this. I have far more invested in tooling than $3K and I did not get a gun from the investment yet I have built a few because I invested. This is a great platform for anybody that truly wants to do this. And yes it is a salty lick to do all at once I agree.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Maybe but it is a school. With a hand built 1911 on the back side. $3K is about an average cost for a hand built 1911 that is not off the charts.
    So in the end if that is your goal then it is really pretty fair.

Yes for those of us who started out the hard way this is a good deal. Fun, knowlegable
    and rewarding. However, a nice option would be a forged frame instead of cast. I would also like to know the milling options.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I wish I could scrape the funds for this together. If all someone wants is a nice 1911, this is not for them. If they want something they crafted themselves and want the ability to build more over the years then this is a steal of a deal. I really wish I could swing this one but cost and time prevent that this year.

Top Bottom