• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    A man's got to know his limitations and mine include the ability to replace the #$%$^$ recoil spring on my Model 60 :xmad:. Despite watching seemingly dozens of videos detailing the ease of this job, I've now bent 3 new ones and see no way to acquire the hands of a surgeon I apparently need. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It's been quite a while since I've done this. I do remember there is a trick, but what it is, fails to come to me now. The rifle is at my dad's so I can't pull it apart and help you out.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think I had to use hemostats while cussing. It does help if you use a padded jaw vise tho.
    60s, 70s and 99s are all a PITA so I ended up modifying Champion flat screwdrivers with a U notch by slowly milling a slot in the varying widths w/o affecting temper. Work great and the bigger ones work for putting in S&W springs.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I did several and never used special tools or mucked it up. But back then i proly had better hands than a surgeon ( not kidding ). Used to do all sorts of stuff in the lab under microscope.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Never liked the model 60 marlin. Buffers rotted, people tried to get jams out prying on stuff. Shop used to get dead ones regularly.

If you get flustered on any job. Walk away and come back later. Might have been fighting yourself more than the project

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I bent the one in mine once....picked one up at the 1500 and put it back in. I don't recall a trick, just very careful hands to line everything up as you compress it.

I don't care for the 60, prefer the 10/22 but my dad bought it for me new in the 80s so I will not be selling it. Don't shoot it much though.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I had a model 60 once, it seemed to do okay, but I was always careful not to mess around with the part that contained all the "guts". I would just pull it out, spray it down with synthetic safe blast free, a little RemOil and light compressed air, then put it back together.

There are too many little parts in that one for me to mess around with.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I never worked in the lab. My hand shakes like a cat crapping razor blades.

Hybrid lab. Ceramic circuit rework and custom build stuff.
    Managers smashing wires by sticking fingers in a "golden unit" (first functional of possible new product).......and shaving wirebonds on
    active region silicon devices to rebond). In housing rework at about 20X. Free hand. Done a few LOL.

Shave wire down to .001 or .0005" flat without nicking anything.

That after maybe reworking substrates from 851 for 16 hrs. Mountain Dew was my blood.

Scalpels not sharp enough w new blades, I had to hone em.

Last edited:

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    To update.....finally admitted defeat and took new recoil springs to somebody far more qualified than I to do the work. Got it to the range this past week to put a few downrange for the first time with this gun in maybe 35 years. Forgot just how fun that old .22lr was to shoot.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    60's are fun and quite accurate shooters although can be ammo picky. With some work they run like sewing machines. No real trick to it and it should be taken apart regularly for cleaning and lube.

I sold all my autos and run bolt guns now for simplicity and cost sake.

Top Bottom