Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

1911 Counter Productive Mods

Most of you know i am a traditional old fart stuck in my ways. However we are blessed with the abundance of today's cosmetic millwork on the precious 1911. Much has been done that has been very cool. However there are many things that seem counter productive. Naked Rails for one, recessed slide stop for another, MIM parts that fail, décor milled hoods, open slide cuts to name a few. Yes some of these are cool depending on individual taste but consider balance on Naked Rails. If you run a WML the 1913 is useful, if you don't it is a huge PITA. It affects balance, presentation and transition times to name a few. The recessed stop eliminates my finger register to confirm both frame position and that the slide stop is fully seated not to mention that the bearing surface has been reduced because of the chamfer. If MIM is as good as tool steel then why don't we just use tool steel. MIM has gotten better and may someday be better, but I still see failures in the field. Milled hoods may look good but why give up the material? Same thing with slide cuts (competition aside) why allow dirt and such into the innards? Some of these items can be useful in sport application but questionable for the street. To sum it up, the altered states of the 1911 compare to the kids putting plastic stocks on a Lever Gun. Shame. What does INGO think?
    "Test what you Think You Know"

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Interesting and does require good responses.
    No Tupperware idiocy here please.

I have done a lot to mine Cosmetically and as it serves no real purpose as to function I guess you could see it as unnecessary. But to me the 1911 can also be art. Art that serves a purpose.
    No naked rails etc. we do take as much weight as possible when it seems to fit the objectives.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

I am not big on the slide guts. When I first saw them, not being very bright, I couldn't figure out the purpose. Then I read it was to lighten up the gun some... umkay. Everyone has a different taste in things. Look at how many people lined up to get the new X-Five from Sig with the slide cuts.
    The MIM issue... I am no expert, but from what I have read, some do it better than others. We know that MIM is supposedly used in very high stress situations in other industries. I guess not knowing is why I would feel better knowing it is all actual tool steel. Some makers, even high end, use cast parts which I don't know are a whole lot better than the MIM.
    I don't think I have any 1911 with a rail on it. My bedside pistol does with a mounted light, but that is a Sig P226.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I am not big on the slide guts. When I first saw them, not being very bright, I couldn't figure out the purpose. Then I read it was to lighten up the gun some... umkay. Everyone has a different taste in things. Look at how many people lined up to get the new X-Five from Sig with the slide cuts.
    The MIM issue... I am no expert, but from what I have read, some do it better than others. We know that MIM is supposedly used in very high stress situations in other industries. I guess not knowing is why I would feel better knowing it is all actual tool steel. Some makers, even high end, use cast parts which I don't know are a whole lot better than the MIM.
    I don't think I have any 1911 with a rail on it. My bedside pistol does with a mounted light, but that is a Sig P226.
    I have 2 1911's with rails. 1 I added and 1 is factory. They both have lights on them and live in strategic locations in the bedroom. None of the EDC's have lights.

1st Mod I do is dump the MIM crap and fit up tool steel ignition parts. They just respond to and hold better as to mods. MIM seems to get mushy after extended use.

This was an experiment for my personal search in how much one can do and get away with. This gun went through 4 levels. The 1st was ignition and the optic mount.
    Then we lost our minds and it was fun. All of it. The end result is a 1911 that shoots as flat as any gun I own, accurate as heck and a ball to shoot. It came out of the box as a brand new SA Range Officer. AllenM did a lot to this gun. The slide has been lightened a lot. Notice no rear sight mount. Tri-topped. Angle cuts. Underneath if you pull the slide you can see the extractor. The sides of the slide have been shaved. No roll marks.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    I have 2 1911's with rails. 1 I added and 1 is factory. They both have lights on them and live in strategic locations in the bedroom. None of the EDC's have lights.

1st Mod I do is dump the MIM crap and fit up tool steel ignition parts. They just respond to and hold better as to mods. MIM seems to get mushy after extended use.

This was an experiment for my personal search in how much one can do and get away with. This gun went through 4 levels. The 1st was ignition and the optic mount.
    Then we lost our minds and it was fun. All of it. The end result is a 1911 that shoots as flat as any gun I own, accurate as heck and a ball to shoot. It came out of the box as a brand new SA Range Officer. AllenM did a lot to this gun. The slide has been lightened a lot. Notice no rear sight mount. Tri-topped. Angle cuts. Underneath if you pull the slide you can see the extractor. The sides of the slide have been shaved. No roll marks.

Holy cow, how thick are those grips?

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drillsgt View Post
    Holy cow, how thick are those grips?
    They are pretty thick but most everyone that shoots it loves them. They fill my hands nicely.

Only real issue is getting down on the grip safety. Not sure which way I will go with that issue. Couple of possible's.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

I like the 1911 for what it is, but then I don't shoot competitively with one. I'll change out grips to improve the artistic look, but try to keep everything with a period style.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post

Very Nice Master Blaster. Back in the day I raced a few of these in .38 Super and 9x21. Special Purpose Irons
    "Test what you Think You Know"

Plinker

User Info Menu

No offense, but I find full length recoil guides worthless. I also have never needed a beavertail grip safety and find the ones with the lump just above the mainspring housing uncomfortable to shoot. I agree with the MIM concerns. If a part was designed originally to be made with that process, OK, but a part designed over 100 years ago may not lend itself to being made that way without some issues cropping up.

User Info Menu

The shock buffs are another thing that seems to be something that most don't see the need for...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast