• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Looking for a more accessible / fitted alternative to NP3 or NP3+ for metal finishing? Had work done at Robar for years... then it seems they had some issues after selling and eventually closed down. I know another shop (Wright Armory?) bought the rights to the NP3 finishing... when done right, the NP3+ is the best, self-lubricating, most durable finish I've seen... for reliability in extended use periods it's a go-to for internals. Problem is it's proprietary and hard to do right... looking for other super SLICK and durable, yet accessible finishes? Is nitride really the best? thoughts???

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I saw a video last week where a guy used a proprietary non-nutritive, non-caloric, silicone based kitchen lubricant on a metal sled and, I have to say, the results were kinda not believable.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I saw a video last week where a guy used a proprietary non-nutritive, non-caloric, silicone based kitchen lubricant on a metal sled and, I have to say, the results were kinda not believable.

tenor.gif

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    A good starting point for the information would be end mill and tool cutter manufacturers, here's a couple examples from Harvey Tool

2a1WK6i.png

ZHgtTiq.png

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Black T goes waaay back. Heck, I have some knives coated w/ it.

It definitely does.

I have a Taurus PT99 that I had done in it in the early 90's (like maybe 1991 or so) and that gun is super slick and feels like the slide is on rollers (looks more like a Beretta than a Taurus with that finish). I can't speak to durability as I never carried it and it hangs out in my safe as I moved on to striker fired soon after. It does have an area on the frame where it has a bit if wear from cycling the slide, and shooting, but everywhere else on it looks great (I even had some mags done and a recoil spring & rod if I recall correctly).

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Just looked it up. Looks legit. How slick is it? I'm hoping for something that's super smooth, almost to the point of not needing to oil the weapon.

It's pretty slick but these are on knives so it's hard to tell. I use a nano oil on the pivots with a slight dab of Tuff Glide.

Top Bottom