• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Anyone have any experience with the Jack Weigand rear sight for S&W? Need to replace the rear leaf on my 19-3 and like this option but I’m curious if you need the full screw replacement kit with spring or just the Windage screw and retain the spring? Also is the sight nut spanner tool essential or is there another option? I only plan to swap this sight once and my other revolvers all have rear channel sights. Any help would be appreciated.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    You might PM BossHoss on here. He is a S&W revolver smith and does excellent work. He has probably done the install you are talking about.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Weigand sight blade is a good piece. They are made of Aluminum and can be bent if dropped or bumped into something hard. They have some up and down slop but the sight always settles back to the lower position and doesn't affect accuracy. Best bang for the buck if you want a better sight picture.
    IMO the stock S&W rear sight is more than adequate for everything except maybe the very highest level of competition and even then many still use the stock rear sight.

All you NEED is the screw and nut but the spring and plunger odds of disappearing go way up if you don't have the extra one handy:): .
    Don't have to have the spanner or staking tool but they make easier. A old screw driver can be modified for a spanner or just carefully use a small screwdriver in one of the slots on one side of the nut.
    The end of the screw is recessed and needs staked into the screwdriver slots on the nut(the screw and nut need to be staked together and both turn when making adjustments). A small punch can be used for this.
    Hope this helps.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Weigand sight blade is a good piece. They are made of Aluminum and can be bent if dropped or bumped into something hard. They have some up and down slop but the sight always settles back to the lower position and doesn't affect accuracy. Best bang for the buck if you want a better sight picture.
    IMO the stock S&W rear sight is more than adequate for everything except maybe the very highest level of competition and even then many still use the stock rear sight.

All you NEED is the screw and nut but the spring and plunger odds of disappearing go way up if you don't have the extra one handy:): .
    Don't have to have the spanner or staking tool but they make easier. A old screw driver can be modified for a spanner or just carefully use a small screwdriver in one of the slots on one side of the nut.
    The end of the screw is recessed and needs staked into the screwdriver slots on the nut(the screw and nut need to be staked together and both turn when making adjustments). A small punch can be used for this.
    Hope this helps.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you much. Figured I’d upgrade to the weigand since it’s not much more than the stock blade. Current blade is all banged up as I believe this was previously a duty weapon.

I’ve heard others sometimes will loctite the rear sight to avoid the up and down movement?

Top Bottom