• ...and so much more!
  • Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Hello smarter people than I.

I'd like to put together a Remington 700 chambered in 450 bushmaster. I'd like to loosely base it around the sps.

For those that have done something like this, are there special tools required? I have some tools, and have put together several AR15's, but I feel like this is a whole different ballgame. Not sure what the cost of admittance is.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Building an accurate Rem700 requires precise machining. There are special tools required along with knowledge and the skills to use them. I don't see it as being a DIY project unless you're a machinist.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Building an accurate Rem700 requires precise machining. There are special tools required along with knowledge and the skills to use them. I don't see it as being a DIY project unless you're a machinist.

That's kind of what I was afraid of. Do you have any resources that explain precision gunsmithing for those of us with IQs below 100?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If you can get a Remage in that cartridge, and an RR prefix receiver (Buds Gunshop), you really only need a set of headspace gauges, an action wrench, and a barrel vice.

The RR 700s require little machining to shoot very well.

The issue is, I don’t know of anybody making a 450 Remage.

So yeah. You’re gonna need a lathe and tooling. No worries though, it’s only money. :)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That's kind of what I was afraid of. Do you have any resources that explain precision gunsmithing for those of us with IQs below 100?

YouTube has plenty of videos showing receivers being trued and barrels threaded, chambered and installed.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Unless you just really want to have a project, skip the Remington and go with a Bergara Ridge or HMR which are 700 clones already chambered in .450.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Unless you just really want to have a project, skip the Remington and go with a Bergara Ridge or HMR which are 700 clones already chambered in .450.

The Bergara Ridge comes in 450BM!? Dude, I'm sold. I have a B14 Hunter in .308 and it's easily my favorite rifle.

I knew the HMR was chambered in 450, but I find it a little heavy for the type of hunting I do.

Good lookin! You just settled it for me.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The Bergara Ridge comes in 450BM!? Dude, I'm sold. I have a B14 Hunter in .308 and it's easily my favorite rifle.

I knew the HMR was chambered in 450, but I find it a little heavy for the type of hunting I do.

Good lookin! You just settled it for me.

:yesway: I don't really get the point of chambering the HMR in .450, the purpose of the that configuration and the purpose of the cartridge don't really match up very well, IMO. Seems like the Hunter would have been the first place to offer the .450 and then expand it in the lineup if warranted.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    :yesway: I don't really get the point of chambering the HMR in .450, the purpose of the that configuration and the purpose of the cartridge don't really match up very well, IMO. Seems like the Hunter would have been the first place to offer the .450 and then expand it in the lineup if warranted.

I was actually kind of disappointed when I found out the HMR was chambered in 450. I also get the match portion of the rifle, but at 9+ pounds, unloaded, without glass, that's a heavy load to take on a hunt.

Top Bottom