• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am in the process of assembling a 6.5 Grendel AR and have been taking a more in depth look at getting as much accuracy as possible out of it. While looking at ways of tightening up the fit of the barrel extension into the upper receiver, I came across the use of stainless steel shim stock. Has anyone used this method? I originally considered using the locktite method, but would much prefer to try the shims. If anyone knows of a local source for smaller amounts of .001-.005 I would be interested in that as well.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've read about folks doing it for the purposes of accuracy but I think in order to get the full benefit you need to lap/square off the face of the front upper receiver

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I've read about folks doing it for the purposes of accuracy but I think in order to get the full benefit you need to lap/square off the face of the front upper receiver

I will be lapping the face of the receiver. I am wanting to bring the diameter of the barrel extension up to the point where it will not slip fit into the receiver without heating the receiver first.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You don't need metal shims.

Two options:

1) Get a BCM upper with smaller ID, or a WOA or BAT extension with a larger OD. (NOT both).

2) Glue it with Red loctite. Cure vertically.

There sure are a bunch of us with 1/2 Minute guns that were glued into just reg'lar uppers with reg'lar extensions....

-Nate

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    You don't need metal shims.

Two options:

1) Get a BCM upper with smaller ID, or a WOA or BAT extension with a larger OD. (NOT both).

2) Glue it with Red loctite. Cure vertically.

There sure are a bunch of us with 1/2 Minute guns that were glued into just reg'lar uppers with reg'lar extensions....

-Nate

2nd that. The only time I've used shims is to fix the timing of a stubborn bbl nut. YMMV.

INhondo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Greenwood
    I've glued one build (.22 Rimfire conversion) with high temperature Loctite and shimmed another (DPMS .308) with 0.001" S/S shim material. It didn't take much time for either process and I can see no drawbacks to doing either one. I also don't see any problem if someone doesn't want to do either process. I have a factory built Bushmaster 5.56 with neither process done and it shoots better than I'm capable of utilizing.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I shimmed mine. It was part of the initial build, so no before photos, but I am very happy with the results.

Grainger Industrial Supply is where I found the correct thickness of metal.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just a follow up. I shimmed mine with .001 stainless feeler gauge which would not allow the barrel to slide into the upper receiver. I cooled the barrel and feeler gauge, and heated the upper just around the thread area to cause it to expand just enough to slide the barrel and feeler gauge in. They bonded almost immediately and cannot be separated by hand. I am currently in the shoot one and clean phase of my barrel brake in so no groups yet.

Top Bottom