I've got a couple of AR issues that are new to me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Here's a picture of the rifle:
    iwSNJHG.jpg

Here's the breakdown of parts"
    *Upper = PSA 16" CHF 1:7 A2 Mid-Length 5.56 Premium Dissipator
    *BCG = PSA Premium
    *Charging Handle = BCM Mod 4B medium
    *Lower Receiver = PSA with a PSA EPT lower parts kit
    *Carry Handle = PSA
    *Buttstock/Buffer/Spring = Rock River Arms Entry kit with CAR buffer and spring.

The Problems: Last weekend I took the rifle out on it's maiden voyage and wanted to get it on paper somewhat zeroed. I ran a mag of Fed XM 193 through it to get the sights on and it took only a few clicks on the windage. Then I ran around 200 rounds of wolf to help the new parts wear in and let the excess oil/grease they put on the barrel smoke off. Then before calling it a day I figured I'd run another 20rd mag of XM 193 through it just to clear out any lower pressure wolf junk left in there. It was in these last few rounds that I noticed the empty brass was ejecting about as close to the handguard towards the front of the rifle as it possibly could have. All the Wold flew off to about 90 degrees.

I thought maybe I just needed a heavier buffer until I opened it up and saw this.
    JZT2sDr.jpg

I had also noticed before during and after shooting that the BCG body itself could catch on the magazine catch instead of also just getting caught on the bolt face itself. Here's a picture of that:
    2b33DSR.jpg

Last night I swapped the upper on another AR-15 and with that combination if I tried to use the magazine catch the BCG get hung up. When I put the other upper on this lower the BCG would glide right off. At this point I'm thinking I should leave the buffer alone for the time being because the empty brass isn't ejecting properly because the gun is beating itself up. I'm not sure if it's an upper problem or a BCG problem. I will try swapping more parts again to see if I can isolate the issure, but thought I'd mention it here as well. I already have some guys baffled, so figured why not more.

All I was wanting to do was get the long sight radius with a short fixed position stock. I've put together PSA guns using that upper before and they ran like a champ. When I assemble rifles, I try to stick to using the same manufacturer for everything as you probably noticed above. For me substituting the RRA entry stock was a big deviation from how I normally do an assembly.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Are you confusing magazine catch with bolt catch? I’m not tracking what the magazine release catch/release has to do with the BCG?

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't believe the bolt catch would have an effect on your ejection pattern. You wouldn't happen to have noticed where the first rounds of XM193 ejected though, did you?

So far as the bolt catch:
    Did the bolt ever lock back when it shouldn't have or not lock back on an empty magazine?
    What magazines were you using?

I have rifles that you can partially lock the bolt carrier to the rear using the bolt catch on the bolt carrier behind the bolt. Neither of these have caused any issues.

No matter what I would plan on replacing the bolt catch. You can probably use the plunger and spring again, but the bolt catch needs to be replaced.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Are you confusing magazine catch with bolt catch? I’m not tracking what the magazine release catch/release has to do with the BCG?

Yes I was. I was trying to find propper terms inside of saying the little doohicky thing that makes a bolt hold open or when I slap it makes the bolt go home.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Responses in Red
    I don't believe the bolt catch would have an effect on your ejection pattern. You wouldn't happen to have noticed where the first rounds of XM193 ejected though, did you? I was focusing more on impacts on the paper to align the sights with the first rounds. I have no clue where those pieces of brass went.

So far as the bolt catch:
    Did the bolt ever lock back when it shouldn't have or not lock back on an empty magazine? Everything functioned normally. Held open on an empty mag, but fed when there was something to feed.
    What magazines were you using? Mostly pmags 20rd gen1, 20rd gen 2 or 3's and a couple gen 1 or two 30rd pmags.

I have rifles that you can partially lock the bolt carrier to the rear using the bolt catch on the bolt carrier behind the bolt. Neither of these have caused any issues. I don't know that I've ever checked any other rifles before to see if that's gone on before. It's weird to me because if it hadn't been for those beat up marks I would have went straight to guessing it was the buffer.

No matter what I would plan on replacing the bolt catch. You can probably use the plunger and spring again, but the bolt catch needs to be replaced. For no more than a brand new fanciest one on the market would cost me I would absolutely agree.

The weird thing about the whole deal was that if I wasn't paying attention to where empties were getting tossed out at I would think this rifle was completely good to go.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I agree. Something has to be holding the bolt catch up to cause that. I would replace the whole thing. Even a really good one is really cheap.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You didn't by any chance see a blown primer (or pieces of one) fall out of the lower when you opened it, did you?
    I only ask because that is a pretty nasty gouge out of that bolt catch face.
    Maybe your firing pin retaining pin broke?

That is puzzling, and doesn't look at all good.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Check the top stock screw. The entry stock uses a short screw, not the longer A2 one. Also check the buffer bumper to see if it has broken.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Check the top stock screw. The entry stock uses a short screw, not the longer A2 one. Also check the buffer bumper to see if it has broken.

Dave knows his ARs. (Truth be told, he's an addict and needs to be in a 12 step program. :): )

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Look at the post before my post.

"Dave knows his ARs. (Truth be told, he's an addict and needs to be in a 12 step program. :): )", Cameramonkey.

And then I said, "The first step would be to have an AR."

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Dave knows his ARs. (Truth be told, he's an addict and needs to be in a 12 step program. :): )
    I didn't look so knowledgeable when I was chasing my first short cycle problem. Only found it because I was changing buffers and noticed an imprint on the buffer bumper.
    And yep, I'm starting to get a little concerned about storage. :)

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Look at the post before my post.

"Dave knows his ARs. (Truth be told, he's an addict and needs to be in a 12 step program. :): )", Cameramonkey.

And then I said, "The first step would be to have an AR."
    Not nearly as funny when you have to explain it ...

To be more accurate though, the first step is "We admitted we were powerless over AR's–that our lives had become unmanageable"

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    That is a super funky issue and I'm interested to hear what you end up finding.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I apologize for the delay in adding these pictures:

zKwBfw5.jpg

GjnpMgi.jpg

YmiiMYq.jpg

The stock was just barely and I mean barely loose. I could wiggle enough just to have some amount of wiggle, but nothing sloppy loose or anything like that. I took a file and smoothed out the bolt hold open latch that was getting dinged up. I'm still going to replace it, but for the time being I took that burr off and I'll mark it with a sharpie to see any fresh signs or wear and tear.

I'm back to thinking it's gotta be that bolt hold open, but I'm going to pound some rounds to check it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you're on the SW side of Indy Ive got a stock bolt catch you can have if you need it. I replace mine so I have plenty. :):

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I apologize for the delay in adding these pictures:

zKwBfw5.jpg

GjnpMgi.jpg

YmiiMYq.jpg

The stock was just barely and I mean barely loose. I could wiggle enough just to have some amount of wiggle, but nothing sloppy loose or anything like that. I took a file and smoothed out the bolt hold open latch that was getting dinged up. I'm still going to replace it, but for the time being I took that burr off and I'll mark it with a sharpie to see any fresh signs or wear and tear.

I'm back to thinking it's gotta be that bolt hold open, but I'm going to pound some rounds to check it.
    For starters, the “stock”/lower receiver extension” should NOT be at all loose. No amount of “wiggle” is good. The 23&P has SPECIFIC torque values, for even the receiver extension. Then, the castle nut should be staked to eliminate any “wiggle” left. It also has a specific torque value. There should be NO “wiggle”, even with a nonstandard/non milspec stock system.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My previous may or may not alleviate your problem, but unless standard values(mil-spec or other) are applied, it’s really a crapshoot in diagnosing. Again, there should be NO WIGGLE in a properly assembled lower receiver extension.

Top Bottom