• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have an issue with an Ishapore SMLE in .303. The safety lever is moving under recoil and locking the bolt, requiring the lever to be manually pushed back forward after every shot to unlock the bolt so the spent round can be adjusted. There is little to no tension retaining it in the forward position.

Anyone know if that tension can be increased, or if the lever can simply be removed altogether and the rifle used without it?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    The dogbone piece is a spring that should be outing pressure on the safety lever to keep it in place. The screw at the bottom could be loose or the spring could have lost tension over the years. My 1916 Lithgow SMLE still has plenty of tension though. You could possibly shim between the spring and the lever to put more tension. It should function just fine without the safety. If you plan on just shooting it at the range or not carrying it with a round chambered, that would be an option.

ba3f34b16da7593f359f7ce49f989dd6.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Sigh. Moronic me failed to perceive that the mounting screw for that dogbone spring piece had walked loose under recoil. A dab of loctite and some torquing and the tension on the lever has increased considerably. With it under tension, there is also somewhat of a detent function to further secure against disengaging under recoil.

Figure that's all it was. Thanks!

Top Bottom