• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have embarked on my first 1911 build. I am fitting the barrel bushing. The barrel fits inside the bushing, but it is so tight that it is difficult to pull the slide back, by hand. Should I leave it this snug? Will it break in? Or, should I ream it out just a smidge more?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well this is gonna be fun......Yes that is way too tight. This is why they call it fitting the barrel/bushing.
    Will the bushing fit in the slide....????

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Well this is gonna be fun......Yes that is way too tight. This is why they call it fitting the barrel/bushing.

Yes. Slide, barrel and frame are assembled. It is just still snug around the barrel. Sounds like I need to ream it out a bit more.

Also, I'm using Wilson Combat stuff. Seems like they've got a pretty good reputation for quality. Have others had that experience, or am I falling victim to good marketing?

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    We're on the same train CM.. My first thought before I read your post was "that's why they call it fitting". :draw:You're quicker on the draw than I am:):

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    We're on the same train CM.. My first thought before I read your post was "that's why they call it fitting". :draw:You're quicker on the draw than I am:):

Fair enough.I had to ream it a decent amount just to get the it onto the barrel. Was not quite sure how snug to leave it. I figure it should be snugger than the fit on my RIA.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fair enough.I had to ream it a decent amount just to get the it onto the barrel. Was not quite sure how snug to leave it. I figure it should be snugger than the fit on my RIA.

Remember that things get hot. Clearances close up. Too loose is loss of accuracy and to tight will gall the barrel.

How are you reaming it out for clearance. Remaining dead center is imperative.
    Barrel makers will have a spec they want you to adhere to.

Wilson is "OK" stuff. Not the end all any more as other company's have upped the bar. You will be happy with what you have chosen.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Short answer is ream it a little looser. the barrel needs to be allowed to tilt as it goes into battery. The barrel should lockup into the bushing about same time or a smidge before it locks up on the barrel lugs.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I just laid a file to the frame to fit the grip safety. Fist time I've ever removed metal from a gun - not terribly comfortable with it. MosinVirus makes it look so easy...

Top Bottom