Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Remington 1100 Failure to Extract

Hey folks,

I picked up a lightly used 1100 a few years ago now, finally got around to shooting it. It is in pretty good shape and clean.

Well it is a fine single shot. That is, I fire a shell, it does not extract. (extract, not eject) In fact I can't even extract it by hand without beating on the charging handle.

At first I checked the gas piston and O ring. All good there. I then replaced the extractor and spring for good measure. All good there.

Still having the issue. I've stopped beating on the charging handle as I've slowed down and went piece by piece trying to figure this out.

The locking block is not fully unlocking from the barrel extension recess. If I jiggle the gun, or lightly tap it, it comes free and then I can extract the shell. Neither the locking block or the barrel extension recess seem especially worn or peened.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Expert

User Info Menu

Check the camber for rust along with checking the extracter for not being broken,missing or frozen.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat." ~Eldridge Cleaver

User Info Menu

Have you taken the bolt apart and cleaned it?
    Old 1100............proly prev owner used WD40.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Pigeon View Post
    Check the camber for rust along with checking the extracter for not being broken,missing or frozen.
    No rust, clean chamber. I replaced the extractor and spring, should be good there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
    Have you taken the bolt apart and cleaned it?
    Old 1100............proly prev owner used WD40.
    This I have not done. To be honest I don't entirely understand how the bolt and the plunger on the back of the rail interact to drop the locking block. I need to look at that relationship more closely.

User Info Menu

Fwiw i spent a good hr plus scrubbing a 760 trigger group that had gummed up. Dunno what prev owner used or how long the gun sat, but jt was like pink epoxy everywhere.

Got a model 60 smith that was wd40 shellacked. Took 2 hrs w gunscrubber to get that off ( lot of elbow grease too ). Gun was like new after that LOL.

Picked up several used and abused 1100 over the years. Last one was single shot. New complete trigger group, extractor and buffer......guy dumped it at shop.

Turns out it was just missing snap ring to hold shell stop.

$8 and it ran like a top LOL

Dunno how much prev owner spent on his "fix"

User Info Menu

Id clean the hell out of the 1100s trigger group too.
    Got another known good one to swap in?

Quick easy way to check where a prob is.

User Info Menu

Fwiw i spent a good hr plus scrubbing a 760 trigger group that had gummed up. Dunno what prev owner used or how long the gun sat, but jt was like pink epoxy everywhere.

Got a model 60 smith that was wd40 shellacked. Took 2 hrs w gunscrubber to get that off ( lot of elbow grease too ). Gun was like new after that LOL.

Picked up several used and abused 1100 over the years. Last one was single shot. New complete trigger group, extractor and buffer......guy dumped it at shop.

Turns out it was just missing snap ring to hold shell stop.

$8 and it ran like a top LOL

Dunno how much prev owner spent on his "fix"
    So far I've only put the extractor, spring, new O ring into it. I learned with cars not to "shotgun parts at the problem" and am trying to avoid doing that here but don't mind replacing some wear items.

Speaking of the shell stop, I'm also trying to think if there is anything seemingly unrelated which may cause this so I'll give the "unrelated" parts a good study too.

User Info Menu

Id clean the hell out of the 1100s trigger group too.
    Got another known good one to swap in?

Quick easy way to check where a prob is.
    This is my only one, but good idea. It seems to be functioning fine and clean but I'll check the small parts closely.

User Info Menu

Found this after a quick search of 1100 extraction issues....https://www.gun-tests.com/ammo/troub...on-model-1100/....

Plinker

User Info Menu

Are you able to run shells manually through the action without firing them? As if you would if unloading the gun at the end of the hunt.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast