• breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Hey folks,

I picked up a lightly used 1100 a few years ago now, finally got around to shooting it. It is in pretty good shape and clean.

Well it is a fine single shot. That is, I fire a shell, it does not extract. (extract, not eject) In fact I can't even extract it by hand without beating on the charging handle.

At first I checked the gas piston and O ring. All good there. I then replaced the extractor and spring for good measure. All good there.

Still having the issue. I've stopped beating on the charging handle as I've slowed down and went piece by piece trying to figure this out.

The locking block is not fully unlocking from the barrel extension recess. If I jiggle the gun, or lightly tap it, it comes free and then I can extract the shell. Neither the locking block or the barrel extension recess seem especially worn or peened.

Thoughts? Thanks!

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Check the camber for rust along with checking the extracter for not being broken,missing or frozen.

No rust, clean chamber. I replaced the extractor and spring, should be good there.

Have you taken the bolt apart and cleaned it?
    Old 1100............proly prev owner used WD40.

This I have not done. To be honest I don't entirely understand how the bolt and the plunger on the back of the rail interact to drop the locking block. I need to look at that relationship more closely.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Fwiw i spent a good hr plus scrubbing a 760 trigger group that had gummed up. Dunno what prev owner used or how long the gun sat, but jt was like pink epoxy everywhere.

Got a model 60 smith that was wd40 shellacked. Took 2 hrs w gunscrubber to get that off ( lot of elbow grease too ). Gun was like new after that LOL.

Picked up several used and abused 1100 over the years. Last one was single shot. New complete trigger group, extractor and buffer......guy dumped it at shop.

Turns out it was just missing snap ring to hold shell stop.

$8 and it ran like a top LOL

Dunno how much prev owner spent on his "fix"

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Fwiw i spent a good hr plus scrubbing a 760 trigger group that had gummed up. Dunno what prev owner used or how long the gun sat, but jt was like pink epoxy everywhere.

Got a model 60 smith that was wd40 shellacked. Took 2 hrs w gunscrubber to get that off ( lot of elbow grease too ). Gun was like new after that LOL.

Picked up several used and abused 1100 over the years. Last one was single shot. New complete trigger group, extractor and buffer......guy dumped it at shop.

Turns out it was just missing snap ring to hold shell stop.

$8 and it ran like a top LOL

Dunno how much prev owner spent on his "fix"

So far I've only put the extractor, spring, new O ring into it. I learned with cars not to "shotgun parts at the problem" and am trying to avoid doing that here but don't mind replacing some wear items.

Speaking of the shell stop, I'm also trying to think if there is anything seemingly unrelated which may cause this so I'll give the "unrelated" parts a good study too.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Are you able to run shells manually through the action without firing them? As if you would if unloading the gun at the end of the hunt.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Pick up a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book The Remington M870 and M1100/M11-87 Shotguns. This book explains all there is to know about these shotguns.

And also get a 2nd 1100 ... they're like sheep ... they know when they're alone and don't like it ... if you keep your backup 1100 handy, the first will never break!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    When I have an 1100 problem, I just buy a 1187. Fixes it every time.

Of course the lightest I go is 00-Buck and I only buy police models but that's just me.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Check to make sure the gas ports are open. I have an 1100 that became a single shot. At first glance the gas area was nice and shiny. Then I realized that there should be 2 gas ports visible. Turns out a nice carbon ring had formed covering the holes perfectly.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    OP, Is your 1100 one of the Magnums? If so lighter dove loads will not cycle due to a heavier action sleeve and 1 gas port vs the standard 2 port. Also don't forget to clean and oil the the action spring for the bolt that extends down into the stock. I added a picture of the standard action sleeve and magnum at the bottom. You'll see the magnum has more "meat" on it.

Got a 1100 magnum dirt cheap one time because "it was broke." The magnums were never designed for light loads, they wont cycle. Put a heavy load in it, it cycles every time. I since put a standard 2 hole gas port deer barrel on it and keep the heavier action sleeve, makes for a fine slug slinger.

wRwfWer.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    OP has problems just getting the bolt back ,manually, that has zero to do with action sleeve differences.

A lead load doing 1250 will run a magnum w magnum bbl (ran WW superhandicap and sporting clays loads in mine for dove).
    Steel dove loads............nope.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Well it is a fine single shot. That is, I fire a shell, it does not extract. (extract, not eject) In fact I can't even extract it by hand without beating on the charging handle.

OP has problems just getting the bolt back ,manually, that has zero to do with action sleeve differences.

A lead load doing 1250 will run a magnum w magnum bbl (ran WW superhandicap and sporting clays loads in mine for dove).
    Steel dove loads............nope.

As his original post goes, that is identical to what the magnum I have, did. Also have seen identical symptoms with several 11-87s super magnum chamber in 3.5" when they shoot a 2 3/4" 8 shot. They bind themselves to the point the trigger assembly and barrel has to be removed to get the spent shell out. You could practically stand on the charging handle and the bolt would not come back with the spent shell. Once they switched to 3.5", everything was fine. Not saying that's what it is or that what I'm saying is wrong or right. That's just what I've encountered with a number of 1100s and 11-87s. Different weights of the action sleeves vs. different loading gas pressures can effect the inertia of the bolt reciprocating. Now whether or not the OP's 1100 is a magnum or standard model, I don't know that was just my 2 cents.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive only had six magnums and five standards and never experienced such an issue.

The 3.5 supermag 1187s were problematic for many.

But then Ive seen a lot of 3" 1187s go back to the factory.

I run 1100s.....without issue.
    Want a magnum and a standard?
    IMHO two shotguns is better than one.

I do however own a 3.5" Remington.
    An 870.

Yup I steer clear of 1187s, in any flavor

Top Bottom