• ...and so much more!
  • Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    So I milled my Glock 19 slide .03” deep and left locating bosses for the holes in the bottom of the vortex venom. My slide was straight and flat in the vice within .002” (the slide itself is not perfectly straight or flat, as usual). I did the milling in a haas mini mill with a renishaw probe built in. The machine has proven to be accurate within a couple tenths of a thousandth. Picked up the center of the slide for my Y axis and rear of the slide for my X axis. The sight fit as close to perfect as one could ask for, barely slips over the locating bosses and fits right into place. Well, I went to sight it in yesterday and it shoots about 3.5” To the right and 3” low at 15 yards. The sight is maxed out both left to right and up to down so i cant it any closer. The optic is truly straight with the slide (i stuck it back in the mill with the sight mounted and ran the indicator across it trying to figure out whats going on to no avail). My question for you guys is what do i do now? I could mill the Locating bosses off and mount the red dot crooked while shimming the rear up to bring it closer but i feel like thats not the correct way to do things. Maybe try to get a warranty replacement optic?

I do quality work, this is not my first time milling a slide for an optic, this is however the first time i haven't been able to get it sighted in. Its my personal gun by the way, i don't do this for other people. Ive attached a couple pictures for reference.

Attachments

• D7650C48-2738-4350-AC91-54492E35C186.jpg
      D7650C48-2738-4350-AC91-54492E35C186.jpg
      108.5 KB · Views: 35
    • 56C5A132-2064-4D29-A9FC-D03F48A8F675.jpg
      56C5A132-2064-4D29-A9FC-D03F48A8F675.jpg
      68.4 KB · Views: 43
    • 001F29F0-1C02-40C9-8FD1-333DE4AB596E.jpg
      001F29F0-1C02-40C9-8FD1-333DE4AB596E.jpg
      112.2 KB · Views: 39

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Sounds like the optic is defective. It should have plenty of adjustment.
    Side note I usually mill down .125 for the optic, that way you can get tall sights to co witness with

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Sounds like the optic is defective. It should have plenty of adjustment.
    Side note I usually mill down .125 for the optic, that way you can get tall sights to co witness with
    Thats what i was thinking. I contemplated throwing it on something else to confirm, just haven’t yet.

How deep to you sink the screw holes from the top then? I wasn’t 100% sure how deep i should go when i started so ive always done .030” and .200 deep flat bottom screw holes.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thats what i was thinking. I contemplated throwing it on something else to confirm, just haven’t yet.

How deep to you sink the screw holes from the top then? I wasn’t 100% sure how deep i should go when i started so ive always done .030” and .200 deep flat bottom screw holes.

The right screw hole goes into the extactor tunnel but probaby .100 to .125. Thats a guess. Lt sude i drill to .500 and run the tap down .250
    It's a number 6 screw. Once you are as deep as the screw diameter anything else doesnt matter...... thats what I was told anyway and works out fine

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    You say it fits snugly on the milled bosses. Any chance it's locating on the radius at the base of the boss or bosses and not the flat milled surface. Only reason that makes me wonder is, the adapter plates I've seen appear to have pins in them. That would be a zero radius as compared to a tool radius result. (From a guy that used to make airplane parts).

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Its a possibility if the corner of my tool chipped, I didnt think about that. I just checked it when I read your comment and my smallest feeler gauge (.0015) doesn't slip under the sight anywhere.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Well i got an update for you guys. I sent the optic off to vortex, the horizontal and vertical adjustment screws were bad. Im assuming the previous owner cranked it to hard to trying to sight it in with that stupid dove mount. Anyway, they sent me a band new in box optic to replace it, their warranty is transferrable and lifetime. Threw it on and without adjustment it was within 2” at 15 yards in both directions. Made a few adjustments and its dead on. I am so relieved it wasn't my workmanship and very happy with the vortex warranty. Thanks for all the help and advice Allen and dave.

Last edited:

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Well i got an update for you guys. I send the optic off to vortex, the horizontal and vertical adjustment screws were bad. Im assuming the previous owner cranked it to hard to trying to sight it in with that stupid dove mount. Anyway, they sent me a band new in box optic to replace it, their warranty is transferrable and lifetime. Threw it on and without adjustment it was within 2” at 15 yards in both directions. Made a few adjustments and its dead on. I am so relieved it wasn't my workmanship and very happy with the vortex warranty. Thanks for all the help and advice Allen and dave.

I agree their warranty service is great, only had to use it once. One reason Ive continued to use their products. Glad they took care of the issue!

Top Bottom